I need advices

White Plains, NY |

Is using a belt and leaving bruises on a child back consider an assault on the second degree in new york?

1. Probably not, but it depends on the extent. A Judge/Jury would need to determine the belt is a "dangerous instrument" capable of causing a "serious physical injury," and it's unlikely a normal belt would have that capability. That said, your scenario may be considered assault in the third or endangering the welfare of a child. Either way, it's a serious offense such that you (if it's you being charged) should consult an experienced criminal defense lawyer. You would probably also face Family Court neglect charges - and if so you should call a White Plains Child Abuse attorney.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

2. It fits the statutory definition of assault in the second degree, so a DA could certainly charge it, and a jury could certainly convict on it, if an prior plea is not reached.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email - Jgold@goldbenes.com

3. It meets the statutory requirments.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.