I need advice on what I can do to get a SS# for my 15 year old daughter.our refugee status case was denied and appeal is pending

Asked about 1 year ago - Sterling Heights, MI

i entered the U.S from Canada in 2006 on an expired Pakistanti passport. We were on asylum there, then we were deported to the U.S. Here we have appealed our denied refugee status--its still under process. I want to apply a work permit and social security for my 15 year old daughter. Need advice on how this could be done

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

7

Answered . Nothing. Unless she is eligible for EAD, there will be no Social Security Number.

2. Theodore John Murphy

Pro

4

Answered . You should take all of your paperwork, from the US and Canadian immigration cases and go see an experienced US immigration attorney. You may have unexplored options.

3. Russell Reid Abrutyn

Pro

2

Answered . Not all asylum applicants are eligible for a work permit, which is the usual way to obtain a social security number. An attorney can review your asylum case to see if you or your daughter would be eligible for one. Sometimes there is an easy way and sometimes a hard way and sometimes it is not possible to obtain a work permit while an asylum application is pending. There may be other options for your daughter, and for you, so you should not delay in speaking to an experienced immigration law attorney.