I need advice on how best to protect myself against a non-primary residence proceeding due to unusual family circumstances.

I have lived in a rent stabilized apartment in my name since 1991. My ex-girlfriend and our 9 year old son also live in the apartment. Since our relationship is over, we wish to live separately, but she is unable to move at present for financial reasons. I have found a small apartment that I can sublet without signing any kind of lease (suitable for me but not for her). My stabilized apartment would continue to be my primary residence in every way except that I would most likely spend somewhat less than 180 days/year actually sleeping there. Would the fact that my possessions and my son remain in the apartment protect me from a non-primary residence claim? Ultimately, I wish to keep the apartment for myself. Should I consider subletting the apartment to my ex for a period of time?

New York, NY -

Find Out More

Attorney Answers (4)

Bruno Patrick Bianchi

Bruno Patrick Bianchi

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - Jamaica, NY

You should consult an attorney about this matter. The facts you detail in your post require discussion and analysis which should be confidential.

Jayson Lutzky

Jayson Lutzky

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Bronx, NY

Speak with an experienced landlord tenant lawyer off line confidentially. Your fact pattern is not favorable to you.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate... more
Marco Caviglia

Marco Caviglia

Criminal Defense Attorney - Poughkeepsie, NY

From what you recount, under the Section ยง2520.6(u) of the RENT STABILIZATION CODE, you would not be able to claim the apartment as your primary residence. Consult a local real estate attorney.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for... more
Steven Warren Smollens

Steven Warren Smollens

Landlord / Tenant Lawyer - New York, NY

Dear Tenant:

A rent stabilized tenant with a legal sublease does not live in the apartment at all during the term of the sublease, but returns to full time residency when the subtenant moves out at the end of the sublease. A rent stabilized tenant is allowed by law to have a legal sublease for as long as two years duration in any given period of four years of time.

As a matter of law, the apartment remains your primary residence for the duration of the sublease. You are expected to leave behind your apartment furnishings, if you sublease the apartment as furnished.You are entitled to a 10% surcharge above your lease rent when subleasing a furnished apartment.

Any consideration to the idea of subleasing, should be with an attorney guiding you and preparing the sublease and other documents.

It sounds as though you and your girlfriend are both custodial parents and your parental rights should guide all your other decisions.

Good luck.

The answer provided to you is in the nature of general information. The general proposition being that you should... more

Related Topics

Landlord-tenant law

Landlord-tenant law is governed mostly by state laws, and covers issues like security deposit limits and deadlines, evictions, and the right to withhold rent.

Featured Legal Guides

Questions? An attorney can help.

Ask a Question
Free & anonymous.
Find a Lawyer
Free. No commitment.