I need advice on dealing with a failure to receive promotion raise in educational system

Asked over 1 year ago - Kingstree, SC

I was denied a raise in pay after I was promoted to a supervisors position

1. Tina Louise Brown

2

Answered . More detail is really needed to give you any legal information on this issue. Notably, Williamsburg county is very restricted in funds, so, as others have questioned, was a raise promised?

Overall, it is best to discuss the details with an attorney who can advise you personally. If unable to afford an attorney, you may want to contact SC Legal Services at 1(888)346-5592 to see if you qualify for legal assistance through their offices.

I wish you well with resolving your issue.

2. Ryan S Montgomery

Pro

1

Answered . This is not personal injury/ lost wages. I've updated your tags. Good luck

3. Christine C McCall

Pro

2

Answered . Ordinarily discretionary raises are at the employer's discretion.

Are you a public employee? Do you have a union?

If there are public employee statutes, ordinances or personnel rules that provide for an automatic raise at a specified period of time after start of a new position, then check with your employer's personnel staff to see if that entitlement has been overlooked or if it has been suspended because of financial exigencies facing the employing entity.

If you are represented by a union, talk to your union rep. Perhaps the contractual entitlement has been deferred by union agreement for financial hardship reasons. There is alot of that occurring across the nation these days.

Lastly, make sure that there was not some sort of affirmative approval that was necessary to perfect your claim to a raise. If there was an evaluation or performance appraisal certifying that you met or exceeded certain standards, and if your employer did not file that certification, then you may not have a legal claim on an otherwise routine and expected raise.

If you were hoping for a raise but not claiming any entitlement then, again, it is up to your employer, and the failure to honor your request or demand is not likely a matter for a legal claim.

4. Ryan M. Finn

Pro

1

Answered . When you applied for the position was there a pay increase promised?

5. Sagi Shaked

Pro

1

Answered . Need more details