I need advice from an attorney that serves the Lehigh Valley and specializes in appeals.

Asked over 1 year ago - Allentown, PA

My finance took a plea to 2 M2 indecent assault charges. He was sentenced to 4 years probation. He came home to myself and 5 year old daughter and his PO violated him because he was to have no contact with minors, something we didn't understand. He has NO priors. We hired a private attorney for the GAGNON 2 hearing and the judge revoked his probation and sentenced him to 2-4 years state time. The attorney says we will not win the appeal. I have been told that with no priors, no new charges, he should have been sentenced to time served and his probation started over. Please help! He wants to appeal but we need an attorney advice if his sentence is outside of the guidelines for a probation violation. Looking to retain an appeal attorney

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Thomas Kenny

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You may be able to file a motion to reconsider

    Specific legal advice can only be given with full knowledge of all of the facts and circumstances of your... more
  2. Robert C. Keller

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are many fine Avvo attorney's who practice in The Lehigh Valley. Most provide a free consult and will provide an honest assessment of the case. Good luck.

  3. Stewart C Crawford Jr.

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If you are not satisfied with his attorney, act promptly in retaining new counsel, some deadlines can be as little as thirty days. Of course, be sure to have a frank discussion with his prior counsel to identify why he feels an appeal would not succeed.

    Stew Crawford, Jr., Esq.

    Crawford Law Firm
    A Full Service Law Firm Serving Pennsylvania & New Jersey

    Philadelphia Area Office
    223 North Monroe Street
    Media, Pennsylvania 19063

    E-Mail: crime@subrolaw.us

    All information provided in this comment is intended for informational purposes only and does not, by itself,... more
  4. Jake Kathleen Marcus

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . While I would certainly recommend hiring an experienced criminal lawyer in the Lehigh Valley, I would not get my hope up about his chances. If "no contact with minors" was a condition of his parole and his indecent assault charge involved a minor, this is a serious violation. No priors is irrelevant. His original sentence would have had a span with the probation being the lowest and a jail sentence being the highest. Your attorney at that time should have told you if the max (which comes into play if there is a probation violation) was outside of the sentencing guidelines for the crime with which he was charged. His VOP time will not exceed his max sentence for the original offense.

    I am an attorney in Pennsylvania but I am not currently *your* attorney. Nothing in my communication should be... more

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Dennis James Dressler

How much do I tell my lawyer?

Start by telling your lawyer what you are charged with and when you are due to appear in court. From that point on I suggest that you let your lawyer ask you questions and you answer those... more

Criminal charges

Criminal charges are formal accusations in court that someone has committed a crime. Criminal charges have many classifications and degrees of severity.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,782 answers this week

3,057 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,782 answers this week

3,057 attorneys answering