I need advice?

Asked over 1 year ago - Ocala, FL

On 9/16/2012 I was arrested for moving traffic violation- driving while lic susp 3rd off. My girlfriend was 7 mons pregnant at the time and she pulled over when we were about 5 mins from home because she was nauseous. I made the decision to continue home because she was not able and was stopped. My court date was not until jan but the public defender that was assigned to my case did not do anything and at the court date she did not defend me and only offered me 2 years, no probation no nothing. My daughter is only 2 weeks now and I have been at my job for 2 years and I don't want to go to trial because I am facing 5 years. I hired an attorney but he said that he can't get a continuance although he has only been on the case for 1 week. Is there not anything that can be done to help me?

1. Amanda Powers Sellers

3

Answered . First of all, you need to schedule an appointment with your attorney to get your legal questions answered. Because this is your 3rd offense, it appears you have been charged with a felony DWLS/R. Some common issues that arise on these charges are:
    1. Purpose of the stop (for a possible motion to suppress)
    2. Whether you were represented by counsel on your previous pleas to DWLS/R - if not, there may be an argument to have the current charge reduced to a misdemeanor
    3. Are you eligible for a license now and if so can your attorney negotiate something less than a felony if you are able to obtain a license.
    4. Do you have a defense? In this case, a necessity defense may need to be explored.

Best of luck!

2. David P. Gilbert

Pro

1

Answered . Start contacting private defense attorneys in your area and ask them what they can do for you. Act quickly.