I need advance what i do?

Portland, OR |

i got married to a guy from portland im from Fiji island its been a year i moved here.my husband is cheating on me and i cant divorce him because of the immigration law i cant divorce him for two years if i did i had to go back to fiji and i dont want to go back.i dont want to stay with him.is there any way you can help me.any advance plz

Talk to an immigration attorney as soon as possible, whether us or another qualified attorney on Avvo. You do not need to stay in a bad marriage to preserve your immigration status. Your status is based on whether or not your marriage was lawful and not fraudulent.

If you need representation, call us at (530) 758-8317 or email thelaw@mytrustedlawyer.com Our replies to Avvo questions should not be considered specific legal advice to any individual, and no attorney-client relationship is formed with you. Our aim is to provide general principles that may be useful to the Avvo community as a whole. You should seek individual legal advice pertaining to your specific factual situation, and the laws applicable to your jurisdiction. If you want that advice from us, contact us at thelaw@mytrustedlawyer.com.

so if il divorce him can i still in USA

OUR MARRIAGE WAS LAWFUL

I don't understand your comment that "i cant divorce him because of the immigration law". That's not necessarily true but you have given me enough facts. Are you now a conditional lawful permanent resident? If so, when does your conditional lawful permanent residence expire? It would be a GREAT investment o seek mt legal advice or that of one of my colleagues. You might be eligible for a self petition or a VAWA waiver. If you feel you are in danger, please leave your house. Hope this helps. Wishing you well.

This communication does not create an attorney client relationship. If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me at any time at either (770)955-1785 or (678)576-9394 or via e-mail at bob@bobbeer.com. THINK IMMIGRATION - THINK BOB BEER

i have only 2 years of permanent resident after 2 year than il get 10years of premanent if il stay with my husbands thats what the immigration told me

Robert Henry Beer

Robert Henry Beer

Well, it is good that you are a conditional permanent resident. I obviously don't know all the facts, but I am hopeful that you can leave your husband and retain your "green card" But again, I cannot stress the importance of your being safe and getting a good attorney. If I can help further, please let me know. As one of my colleagues said earlier, no one should stay in a bad and potentially dangerous marriage. Hope this helps. Wishing you well.

THANK YOU

I agree with my colleagues. talk to an immigration lawyer.

Irina S Batrakova

Irina S Batrakova

You are able to self-petition for removal of the conditions of residence and do not have to wait for two years, given there is a valid divorce has been secured and you are able to prove that the two of you lived in marital union. I am a local Portland immigration attorney. Feel free to call me or email me with the additional questions that you may have. Thanks, Irina The Batrakova Law Office | Irina S. Batrakova 5 Centerpointe Drive, Suite 400 | Lake Oswego, OR 97035 tel: 503.443-2486 | fax: 971.204.0230 ibatrakova@batrakovalaw.com | www.batrakovalaw.com

The immigration laws are concerned with fraudulent marriages entered into for the purpose of obtaining permanent resident status. Given that you have been here for a year, you are likely on conditional resident status. However, even if you decide to get a divorce within the two year period time frame, you may still apply for adjustment of status to permanent residence. This process is known as removal of conditions on permanent residence based on marriage. You would have to show that you entered into the marriage in good faith. To adjust status, you and your husband would normally apply jointly. However, if you divorce him, you may apply to waive the joint filing requirement. You should contact an immigration attorney, whether myself or one of my colleagues to see what your available options are based on your current circumstances.

The Law Office of Elliot M.S. Yi, 2075 SW First Avenue, Ste 2J, Portland, Oregon, 97201 www.emsylaw.com; elliot@emsylaw.com; 503-227-0965. This answer is intended for general informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship. The statement above does not constitute legal advice, as all the facts are not known.

thanx

You are able to self-petition for removal of the conditions of residence and do not have to wait for two years, given there is a valid divorce has been secured and you are able to prove that the two of you lived in marital union. I am a local Portland immigration attorney. Feel free to call me or email me with the additional questions that you may have.

Thanks,

Irina

The Batrakova Law Office | Irina S. Batrakova
5 Centerpointe Drive, Suite 400 | Lake Oswego, OR 97035
tel: 503.443-2486 | fax: 971.204.0230
ibatrakova@batrakovalaw.com | www.batrakovalaw.com