I need a slip and fall attorney

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

Hi, this is Payel Maitra. On 19th Feb while walking in my building premises i fell on black ice, was rushed to ER. They diagonised an ankle dislocation and 3 bone fractures. I went through surgery after 2 weeks. I am still bedridden.My building has suggested me a claim amount of 5000 dollars on top of hospital bills.I feel a revision on amount is needed.

1. Louis Joseph Meyer

Pro

6

Answered . You do not want to handle this without counsel. You have serious injuries. You have other damages beside the medical bills. I would retain an attorney as soon as you can. Interview a few until you find one you feel comfortable with.

Louis J. Meyer
    Meyer & Kiss, LLC
    Offices in Chicago, Peoria & Rockford

2. Jeffrey Mark Adams

6

Answered . Payel: You really owe it to yourself to stop speaking with the building representatives, and start speaking with local and qualified personal injury litigation counsel. You have a significant injury and may be entitled to significant compensation. The delay is not helping matters. Good luck. Jeff

Pro

6

Answered . Illinois follows what is known as the unnatural accumulation of snow and ice rule., thus, In order for there to be liability for a fall on ice or snow, the ice or snow that made you fall must be an unnatural accumulation of ice or snow. If it is a natural accumulation of ice or snow, there is no liability. Have a local lawyer investigate.

4. Anthony A. Ferrante

4

Answered . Mr. Maitra,

I highly suggest that you contact a local personal injury attorney in Chicago immediately. You can find one using the Avvo "Find a Lawyer" tool on this site. While you are at it, make sure you do not give any more statements to the insurance company without your attorney's guidance. In theory, insurance companies are trying to get the "facts" about your accident when they take these statements BUT in practice they are simply trying to get you to say something damaging to your claim. Their ultimate goal is to pay as little as they can on a claim like this and protect their bottom line.

It sounds as though you have sustained very significant injuries. You may be able to recover for them, but without a lawyer the insurance company will try to low-ball you and force you to accept pennies on the dollar of the actual value of your claim. Cases involving ice, especially "black" ice, can be difficult here in NY - but the law as to premises cases vary from state to state. Don't post anything more about your case and contact an attorney at once. Good luck!

5. Mark David Brynteson

Answered . One of the other attorneys mentioned the unnatural accumulation rule. This rule needs to be considered in light of the state and city snow removal act. If you can get around the snow removal act immunity, then you go to the unnatural accumulation rule. Illinois Slip and fall cases are highly technical and really require you to consult with an attorney.

The Law Is About People
    Mark D. Brynteson
    Attorney at Law
    2969 Rolling Meadow Court
    Belvidere, Illinois 61008
    (o) 815-569-4280
    (o) 815-975-3102
    (o) 815-975-3103
    (f) 866-459-4075
    E-mail: mdb@bryntesonlaw.com
    web site: www.bryntesonlaw.com

6. Karen Tallent Munzer

Pro

1

Answered . I am sorry that you slipped, fell and now have serious injuries. Contact a personal injury attorney in your area ASAP. There are many excellent Personal Injury attorneys in Chicago area that are listed in the AVVO find a lawyer feature. Most give free consults and work on a contingency basis. Do not talk to representatives of the building. They do not have your best interests at heart. They are looking for ways to deny liability.
    You may be entitled to substantial compensation for your injuries, but you will need an attorney to present a case for you. You have nothing to lose by consulting an attorney and a lot to gain. Good Luck

7. Matthew C Simon

Pro

1

Answered . Seek a local personal injury attorney immediately to discuss the specifics of your case in detail. Im not from your area, but that sounds very low.

8. Ross A. Moore II

Answered . Without the claimant hiring an attorney, the insurance representatives will send you low amounts to settle, in hopes that you will quickly agree. Find a personal injury attorney in Chicago soon to assess your claim. Until you find an attorney, you should stop speaking to the building's insurance company altogether.