I need a pro bono criminal lawyer for a dui case.

Asked over 5 years ago - Anderson, CA

I rolled my car 5 times in november due to a deer in the road. and the Chp is trying to charge me with a dui. saing that my BAL was 0.06 and that i had meth in my system. I do not use meth and I looked up the medications i take and a medication i take wil give a false positive for meth. I have been on disbility since the accident and i only get $200.00 a month. i just recieved notice of this on april 4, 09. it says I was arrested in the hospital which is not true and so much more that is untrue in the report. If anyone can give me some advice or be my lawyer that would be a blessing.

1. Paul M. Ruby

2

Best Answer

Answered . If your only means of income is disability benefits, you probably qualify to be represented by the Public Defender's office in your local county. Look them up and call them. They'll usually ask you to come in for a screening (to make sure you qualify for their representation) and, if you do, they'll assign someone to represent you. When you go to that initial meeting, make sure to bring all information that you have about your case and upcoming court dates with you.

When you get assigned that lawyer, you can give them more of the facts of your case and they can advise you best on how to proceed.

Good luck!

2. Kenneth Mark Quigley

Answered . You are entitled by law to a free, court-appointed attorney. Just ask the judge, and he is required to appoint someone.

3. George Fredrick Mueller

Answered . the legal limit for a California DUI is .08, can I still get arrested for a California DUI - driving under the influence of alcohol - when I blew only .05, .06 or .07?

Yes.

A California drunk driving charge depends on the facts & circumstances.

Can you remember going to a party, someone got drunk and started hitting on your spouse?
    And when teased the next day that person swore it was only two drinks?

Alcohol affects different Californians in different ways. Some people may experience mild effects after two or three drinks; some people may be impaired after one.

California's .08 law exists because of federal funding pressure and because that law states that a .08 blood-alcohol level will impair anyone. But you may have a lower concentration of alcohol in your blood and still be allegedly impaired according to California DUI law.

At a recent party, a friend brought my portable breath test machine and began testing people. Few at that party reached a .08. One person claimed she felt too buzzed to drive by the time she reached .07. It doesn’t necessarily take a lot of alcohol to get impaired. Each person is different and so is her or his physiology.

A California DUI is one the most defended criminal cases by California criminal defense lawyers in California courts. The accused has a lot to lose if convicted. DUIs are extremely costly in terms of fines, court-imposed fees, insurance rates, ignition interlock devices, vehicle impounds, public work service, alcohol programs, and jail.

One of the biggest reasons people hire California DUI criminal defense attorneys to fight their California Drunk Driving charges is fear of losing their driver’s license. Our culture makes daily living difficult without personal transportation, particularly in rural areas.

California DUI police officers don’t always just depend just on numbers from a breath sample to decide if someone is impaired. A skilled and honest California DUI officer often knows, before doing a breath test, if the driver is likely to be arrested for a California DUI.

Unsteady gait, distinctly slurred speech, misunderstanding comprehensible directions, unexplained difficulty with basic motor skills and the manner of driving are possible characteristics that may say more about someone’s possible impairment than numbers on a machine.

California DUI laws and issues are extremely complex.

California Drunk Driving Criminal Defense Lawyers often have to deal with prosecution experts who try to claim that people can be impaired at .05.

If you are under .05, there is a jury instruction (below) that you are presumed not to be under the influence of alcohol.

If you are a commercial driver, it is unlawful to drive a commercial vehicle with a .04 BAC.

If you are an non-commercial adult driver who was charged with a California DUI at less than .08, you’ve learned the hard way that a small amount of alcohol can cause possible impairment, at least in the opinion of some California DUI police officer.

It gets very complicated for a California DUI criminal defense lawyer who must deal with many different jury instructions in California DUI cases.

e.g. California Criminal Jury Instruction Number
    2110. Driving Under the Influence (Veh. Code, § 23152(a))

A person is under the influence if, as a result of (drinking [or
    consuming] an alcoholic beverage/ [and/or] taking a drug), his or
    her mental or physical abilities are so impaired that he or she is
    no longer able to drive a vehicle with the caution of a sober
    person, using ordinary care, under similar circumstances.

The manner in which a person drives is not enough by itself to
    establish whether the person is or is not under the influence of (an
    alcoholic beverage/ [or] a drug) [or under the combined influence
    of an alcoholic beverage and a drug]. However, it is a factor to be
    considered, in light of all the surrounding circumstances, in
    deciding whether the person was und

4. Paul M. Ruby

Good luck!