I need a pro bono criminal defense/appeals attorney (Federal Case)

Asked about 5 years ago - Saint Petersburg, FL

My brother was badly beaten in a FCI. He has broken nose, broken bones. He was set to be releases 11-2009. The facility has not contacted us and when we called they said he was okay. And they could not discuss his injuries with his family because of HIPPA. He has spent the last 12 years with no problem for Conspiracy to distribute drugs. We are very afraid that he will die from his injuries. Can someone assist?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Michael Alexander Misa

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Yes the first thing is go see him. The next thing is find out who beat him? Was it the guards or other inmates. When you visit him you can have him sign a HIPPA release giving his family the right to his med records. Any questions you may call me. Good luck!!

  2. Robert Lee Marshall

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . I don't understand why you think you need a criminal defense or appeals attorney. What are you trying to do? Get information on his condition? Sue the facility for his injuries? Get him released early?

    You say your brother was serving time in a Federal Correctional Institution (FCI), which is a low-to-medium security prison, and was close to release. If he was the victim of an attack and is not being charged with a new crime, he does not need a criminal defense attorney.

    Please explain exactly what kind of help you want.

  3. Edward Jerome Blum

    Contributor Level 16

    Answered . I agree with the other lawyer, are you not being allowed to visit your brother? If he hasn't been charged, there's nothing to do.

    Edward J. Blum

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,413 answers this week

3,028 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,413 answers this week

3,028 attorneys answering