I need a pro bon criminal defense lawyer for my boyfriend please

Asked 7 months ago - Garden Grove, CA

please i need a pro bono criminal defense lawyer for my boyfriend i have been looking around for one for a week now with no luck... I want him home asap please if any one of you can help please im at my wits end and begging...

1. Matthew Murillo

Pro

4

Answered . Thats what the Public Defender is - pro bono criminal defense lawyers. Without knowing any information about your boyfriends case, i would assume he is in custody for allegations of a serious felony? Most felony cases are extremely time consuming and a private attorney rarely has that much time available, without potentially hurting the amount of time they have available for paying clients. As a result, many private criminal defense attorneys simply cannot accept pro bono cases, or at least more than 1 or 2 at any given time.

The public defender's office is very capable and would be better than not having any representation. Have your boyfriend request they be appointed to represent him.

2. Robert Lee Marshall

3

Answered . Public defenders are NOT pro bono lawyers, as some people have suggested.

Pro bono publico, which is "for the public good" in Latin, implies that a lawyer is working for free. Public defenders are paid by the government to defend people in criminal cases who can't afford to hire their own lawyers.

It's unlikely you're going to find someone willing to work for free, who will do a better job than a public defender. The Orange County Public Defender's office has many excellent attorneys.

3. Joseph Salvatore Farina

2

Answered . Sorry but pro bono lawyers are called public defenders. Many public defenders are excellent attorneys because they only handle criminal defense matters and do a lot of trials. Most attorneys can't afford to work free of charge and why would they? We all have bills to pay and if we work free of charge, how do we pay our bills? And why would an attorney who is not being paid have any incentive to work hard?