I need a pro bon criminal defense lawyer for my boyfriend please

Garden Grove, CA |

please i need a pro bono criminal defense lawyer for my boyfriend i have been looking around for one for a week now with no luck... I want him home asap please if any one of you can help please im at my wits end and begging...

1. Sorry but pro bono lawyers are called public defenders. Many public defenders are excellent attorneys because they only handle criminal defense matters and do a lot of trials. Most attorneys can't afford to work free of charge and why would they? We all have bills to pay and if we work free of charge, how do we pay our bills? And why would an attorney who is not being paid have any incentive to work hard?

The information and legal suggestions made herein do not in any way create an attorney-client relationship. The responses provided herein discuss general principles of law and should not be relied upon by the asker in making legal decisions. Only an attorney who has met with the asker and fully reviewed the facts and circumstances of the asker's individual case should be relied upon for legal advice. If you find my suggestions helpful, please mark the appropriate box as helpful.

2. Thats what the Public Defender is - pro bono criminal defense lawyers. Without knowing any information about your boyfriends case, i would assume he is in custody for allegations of a serious felony? Most felony cases are extremely time consuming and a private attorney rarely has that much time available, without potentially hurting the amount of time they have available for paying clients. As a result, many private criminal defense attorneys simply cannot accept pro bono cases, or at least more than 1 or 2 at any given time.

The public defender's office is very capable and would be better than not having any representation. Have your boyfriend request they be appointed to represent him.

Any information provided through Avvo.com in response to a question is not, and cannot be considered a formation of any Attorney-Client relationship. Questioner understands that the nature of this system allows only for a cursory review of case information, and more detailed information should not be divulged in this public forum. As such, Questioner is recommended to contact an Attorney in order to discuss the full details of their case and a more specific advisement of potential rights and liabilities.

3. Public defenders are NOT pro bono lawyers, as some people have suggested.

Pro bono publico, which is "for the public good" in Latin, implies that a lawyer is working for free. Public defenders are paid by the government to defend people in criminal cases who can't afford to hire their own lawyers.

It's unlikely you're going to find someone willing to work for free, who will do a better job than a public defender. The Orange County Public Defender's office has many excellent attorneys.

Please understand that this is a general discussion of legal principles by a California lawyer and does not create an attorney/client relationship. It's impossible to give detailed, accurate advice based on a few sentences on a website (and you shouldn't provide too much specific information about your legal matter on a public forum like this site, anyway). You should always seek advice from an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction who can give you an informed opinion after reviewing all of the relevant information.