Skip to main content

I need a nearby patent attorney!

Niland, CA |

New inventions come up need a patent attorney, any recommendation ? (one with international experience) Thanks

Attorney Answers 7

  1. With phone and email access, a client should not feel so constrained to find a "nearby" patent attorney.


    The answer provided is only for general information purposes and does not constitute legal advice.

  2. Use the "Find a Lawyer"tab. This Q and a is not a jobs available bulletin board.

    No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

  3. Patent Lawyers tend to cluster around R&D centers, and my guess is that there aren't many in Imperial County. However, there are a lot of us in San Diego, Orange and LA counties, and some in Riverside County.

    And while it is nice to be able to meet face to face, with Skype, email, etc., most of the work is done remotely. Depending on your invention, it's probably worth the drive to initially meet with the patent lawyer you choose, but after that most of your communications can be remote.

    As for foreign patents, there are treaties in place with most of the economically significant countries in the world, and we routinely work to secure and enforce patent rights worldwide .

    Best of luck.

    (949) 390-2717 - Of course there's more to it! Plus, we don't have an attorney-client relationship. This brief comment is for information only, and must not be relied upon as legal advice.

  4. Geographical proximity should not be the driving factor in a patent attorney. The patent bar is a federal bar that allows patent attorneys or patent agents to represent clients before the USPTO. They are not required to be admitted to the state bar that they are practicing in or the client is located in.

    Patents filed properly in the US can be prosecuted internationally, you would not need to separately file in every single country you wish to gain patent protection in.

    But these two factors are only for patent prosecution, gaining a patent for your invention. If you are involved in litigation with a granted patent, you need to get an attorney that is admitted to the court in which the litigation is commencing.

    The find a lawyer section of this website should be able to help you.

  5. I would be careful to only look for a "nearby patent attorney" - location should not be the driving factor in selecting a patent attorney. With the high standard that the patent bar has and the fact that Patent law is governed at the Federal level not the state level.

    Find an attorney that you trust and feel comfortable with.

  6. Niland is in the upper central area of Imperial County surrounded by a lot of land.

    If your invention involves a chemical plant, you might need someone to examine it. A lot of the other respondents to your question may not understand how important an invention is to the inventor, as well as the need for an on-site inspection of the device, but it may involve additional cost.

    International Experience: Sure I can read Japanese & Russian references well enough to get what I want from them & put up a fight over content; and I lived in Saudi Arabia for 2.5 years.

    I generally always like to hear about new inventions, so call me if you like. We can talk tax too.
    Curt Harrington
    Certified Tax Specialist -- State Bar of California Board of Legal Specialization (J.D.; LL.M. -Tax)
    Electrical(M.S.E.E.)-Chemical(M.S.Ch.E.)(B.S. Chemistry)-Mechanical Patent (Intellectual Property) Attorney & MBA (562) 594-9784 ---

    Curt Harrington Patent & Tax Law Attorney Certified Tax Specialist by the California Board of Legal Specialization PATENTAX.COM This communication is general information and not legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. This communication should not be relied upon as any type of legal advice. Please note that no attorney-client relationship exists between the sender and the recipient of this message in the absence of either (1) a signed fee contract and (2) remission of an agreed-upon retainer. Absent such an agreement and retainer, I am not engaged by you as an attorney, nor is any other member of my law firm.

  7. No you don't. You need a REGISTERED patent attorney with the technical and legal skills to do the best job. Nearby is not the key criteria and it will often lead to the wrong choice. Do a quick GAPS search and find out which patent attorneys are filing applications on inventions of the general technical nature as yours. Find other inventors and ask who they recommend. Find other attorneys and ask who they use. You might also use the Find a Lawyer tab here on Avvo to see ratings of the attorneys.

    I am not your lawyer and you are not my client. Free advice here is without recourse and any reliance thereupon is at your sole risk. This is done without compensation as a free public service. I am licensed in IL, MO, TX and I am a Reg. Pat. Atty. so advice in any other jurisdiction is strictly general advice and should be confirmed with an attorney licensed in that jurisdiction.