I need a letter to reopen a traffic offense case

Denver, CO |

After going to court several times on the final court date the judge said that i either have my drivers license or i plea guilty traffic offense.the only thing i was waiting for was a letter from the DMV to issuse a clearance on my drivers license. on exactly that date the clearence was issued was my court date, therefore since i did not have my actual drivers license i had to enter a plea of guilty. since i had the clearance on the date of the my court date i would like to reopen the case and i need help with a letter

It is more complicated than just writing a letter. From you description of your situation you will need to submit and file a legal Motion with the court requesting that the pleas of guilty be vacated. There isn't a guarantee that the court will grant your motion. It depends upon how long ago you entered your plea, the judge's questions and your response before accepting your plea and the position of the prosecutor. You need to take action as soon as possible. The longer you wait the more unlikely it is that your motion will be granted.

Responses to questions on AVVO does not create an attorney/client relationship. Colorado requires that the Client and Attorney enter into a written legal fee arrangement

Mr. Miller is right. You should have told the Judge of the fact that you are still awaiting the DMV clearance letter. If you had a competent attorney he or she would have convinced the DA to agree to another short continuance. Once you got the DMV letter and the license a day or two later you should have gone back to the Judge and asked that you be allowed to withdraw your prior day's plea. This is what happens when you fail to hire a competent traffic attorney to help you. It is a classic case of penny wise and pound foolish. (I hate to say that but is applicable in this case). Now you will have to file appropriate Motions to withdraw plea or post conviction relief which are complicated and difficult to obtain. Remember, you do not have an absolute constituional right to file a Motion to Withdraw plea if that plea was knowing, intelligent and voluntary. A competent attorney would have been able to get you the additional time you needed. Now it is entirely up to the Judge and Judges are already over burdened with a heavy case load and do not look too kindly to granting Motion to Withdraw Plea except if it is absolutely necessary to protect your constitutional rghts. It is a high standard to meet.

You cannot really reopen a closed case but can file a Motion to Withdraw plea which may reopen the case if the court grants the Motion.

There are too many facts missing and time is of the essence in getting appropriate relief in the grant of the Motion to Withdraw Plea.

Best of Luck

Next time I do hope you will be sensible and hire a competent Traffic Defense attorney who is expereinced in defending cases like yours.

I regret the "harsh" words but please take it as a lesson for the future. Hiring a competent traffic attorney is a good investment to protect your driving privileges and the difficulties encountered without a valid license. I say these words because there are just too many people like you who fail to think ahead and invest in their own future. Good and Competen Traffic t Attorneys are trained and experienced and know how and what to say to the DA and the Judge to get you the additional time so you could get your license. You pay the attorney for that skill and knowledge. Skill and knowledge is like any asset . It takes a lot of investment in time and money to get what a good, competent traffic attorney has and offers as a service. Like any service you just got to learn and prepare to pay for.

This web site was created by this law firm so that you could learn more about the legal services that Iyer Law Office, LLC, offer. Although every effort is made to provide complete and accurate information, Iyer Law Office, LLC, makes no warranties, express or implied, or representations as to the accuracy or currency or reliability of the information herein. The laws change frequently and facts or circumstances are unique to each case. This website is for informational purposes or general educational purposes only and should not be used, acted upon, or relied upon without first consulting with Iyer Law Office, LLC, or another attorney to determine if and to what extent the information contained herein may apply to your specific case or circumstance. You should not act or rely on any information at this Web site without seeking the advice of an attorney. None of the information at this Web site is intended to constitute, nor does it constitute, legal advice. None of the information necessarily reflects the opinions of this Web site or its attorneys or clients. This Web site is not soliciting clients and does not propose any type of transaction. The determination of whether you need legal services and your choice of a lawyer are very important matters that should not be based on web sites or advertisements. In some cases, the attorney may associate with other attorneys in the handling of the client's case, whether as local counsel, trial counsel, co-counsel or any other capacity. An attorney-client relationship will continue with all such associated co-counsels and client(s). Any information that you send us in an e-mail message might not be confidential or privileged, and sending us an e-mail message will not create an attorney-client relationship. The information herein is not intended to create and does not create an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship with us cannot be formed by reading or acting upon the information herein. The only way to become our client is through a mutual Fee Agreement signed by the client and attorney and payment of our mutually agreed fees. If you are interested in having us represent you, you should call us so that we can determine whether the matter is one for which we are willing or able to accept professional responsibility. We will not make this determination by e-mail communication. The telephone numbers for our offices are listed in this Web site. We reserve the right to decline any representation. We may be required to decline representation if it would create a conflict of interest with our other clients. This Web site has tried to comply with all legal and ethical requirements in compiling this Web site. We do not want to represent clients based on their review of any portion of this Web site that does not comply with legal or ethical requirements. The information herein is not soliciting clients and does not propose any type of transaction. By using this information, you assume any and all risks associated with this use. This Web site might contain links to other resources on the Internet. Those links are to help you identify and locate other resources on the Internet. The links are not intended to state or imply that this Web site sponsors or is affiliated or associated in any way with the information at those other Web sites. To the extent that the professional responsibility rules of any jurisdiction require us to designate a principal office for this Web site, this Web site designates its office at 3333 South Bannock Street, Suite 330, Wells Fargo Building, Englewood, CO 80110. Iyer Law Office, LLC, expressly disclaims any liability for any special, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues, or lost profits, personal injury of any kind (including but not limited to any and all punitive damages) resulting from the use or misuse of the information contained herein.