I need a legal opinion drafted from an attorney specializing in Internet gaming and it's legalities. How much would this cost?

Filed under: E-commerce Internet law

It's a website I am creating revolving around Internet gambling.....although it is not real gambling.

Disclaimer: The materials provided below are informational and should not be relied upon as legal advice.

I do not practice in that area. However, opinion letter are typically costly because the fee charged is analogous to the premium on an insurance policy. You should consult your own attorney to protect your legal rights.

Thousands to 10s of thousands of dollars depending on the business model and the disclaimers.

I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for general information only. They are not legal advice. Answers must not be relied upon. Legal advice must be based on the interplay between specific exact facts and the law. This forum does not allow for the discussion of that interplay. My answer to any specific question would likely be different if that interplay were explored during an attorney-client relationship. I provide legal advice during the course of an attorney-client relationship only. The exchange of information through this forum does not establish such a relationship. That relationship is established only by personal and direct consultation with me followed by the execution of a written attorney-client agreement signed by each of us. The communications on this website are not privileged or confidential and I assume no duty to anyone by my participation on Avvo or because I have answered or commented on a question. All legal proceedings involve deadlines and time limiting statutes. So that legal rights are not lost for failure to timely take appropriate action and because I do not provide legal advice in answer to any question, if you are an interested party you should promptly and personally consult with an attorney for legal advice. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference

Are you certain that you really need a formal written opinion? These are very very expensive because they require great precision and are typically very comprehensive in the analyses of the whole issue and all foreseeable ramifications. Maybe you only need some sound advice on more limited and specific issues?

Even though Big Law tends to be very expensive, a Big Law firm with vast experience in a narrow subject matter can draw on a deep well of expertise and prior advice and legal work. So, a consultation with attorneys with a vast depth of very specialized experience can sometimes be economical in the long run. I recommend that you spend some time looking at the attorney profiles of KL Gates in Century City. That firm (and some of its individual attorneys) are deeply and broadly experienced in the specialized issues of gaming law, and if anyone can give you a bottom line on your questions in a short consultation, it would be them. And they are reputedly entrepreneur-friendly.

I have made this recommendation re gaming law twice before to start-up entrepreneurs with reportedly superior results, so study the web-site and give it some thought. I know it is counter-intuitive to spend money to talk to a large firm at this stage of your business plan, but it might be a sound investment in the long run. Good luck to you.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

The legal status of Internet gambling is changing almost daily. Nevada has legalized it, New Jesey is close to legalizing it, and Delaware is almost ready to announce it. It is all about the tax revenues for the states, and other states will shortly follow.

Therefore, I think you are on the front of the curve for Internet gaming - it is going to grow quickly from here.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like to have a No Charge chat about Internet gaming and the current state of the law. We can also chat about your plans and what you should be doing to prepare for your new program.
Andrew M. Jaffe
Attorney at Law
Practice Limited to E-Commerce and Internet Law

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business