Skip to main content

I need a lawyer to represent me in NC civil lawsuit?

Moses Lake, WA |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

I live in Washington state. The North Carolina, buncombe county DSS is illegally taking money out of my federal disability income. I cant afford to travel to NC and wish to hire a lawyer to sue them, but cant afford that either.

NC gen statute states that be it state or FEDERAL, debt can not be collected after 3 years from default date. Its 10 years old.

Thier claiming that I was qualified for food stamps in 2002-2003, and now, 10 years later, are claiming I was not qualified andare taking money out of my check against the statute of limitations.

I understand they are a federel program, but the statute of limitation does include federal under section 1-52 subsection 2.

My question is who can I hire on contingency to sue Buncombe county DSS, or could I hire a lawyer in washington state

Attorney Answers 2

  1. Try contacting the NC state bar and request referral to and administrative attorney.

    NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

  2. Perhaps the Buncombe County Bar Association could help with a referral.

    [In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.]

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics