I need a lawyer to help me get my dog back

Garland, TX |

My dog was with a relative for a couple of weeks while I was out of town in June of 2012.  When I returned, I learned that my relative called the shelter acting like it was his dog and they picked her up. The garland shelter. She got adopted two days later. When I went there they told me she was never there. In dec my relative told me where she was it was the same shelter. I go back and the person who picked her up was there. He told me she got adopted. A year later a lady has been helpin me. She found a few links of her. She got fostered not adopted from the shelter. Another site she got adopted to new mexico after a month. I called the collie rescue they don't believe me that's my dog. Thy said they got her from New Mexico then changed shes in New Mexico. The shelters keep on lying.

Its all too weird. Its time to move on.

Wow so helpful if someone paid u money im sure u wouldn't say that and if u were an animal lover u wouldn't say that

David Ian Schoen

David Ian Schoen

I am an animal lover, but these circumstances are so strange as to be almost beyond belief. I feel badly for you, but so much time has passed and so many people involved that you should just get a new animal and try to move on. You should be angry with your relative, not me. If you notice, I am the only one that has even taken the time to answer your question even though your post has been up for several hours

Im not going to give up if so I would done that a long time. U don't give up something you love I had her since she was 4 months shes a child to me Im here to get help not to move on I already heared that and top of lies from the shelters

David Ian Schoen

David Ian Schoen

Maybe I was too quick to judge the situation. Maybe you can get an animal law attorney in Texas to help you with this. If you do not have money there are also attorneys who do pro bono work and legal services agencies. The irony is that this is actually the type of thing I usually will do for my clients without charge. I guess I am just really curious why your relative would have done that.

Where do I find those? It's hard to find them so far I found one thats $250 an hr It's my husband dad he hates me so I guess if he got rid of my dog I'll leave I have been having hell from his whole family. We just got married last month and they don't know cuz the drama theyll bring

David Ian Schoen

David Ian Schoen

I have relatives that are attorneys in Houston. I will check with them and get back to you if I have any answers.

Thanks im in the dallas area

You will have a hard time retrieving your dog. You will also likely find legal help only if you are willing to pay a couple hundred bucks an hour to an attorney.

This is a losing battle. I am sorry to tell you that.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.

U r rude

Does she have a chip to identify her? If so call the police in area or vets where she might be living. For some of us our pets are our children and it can be devastating to lose them.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and have practiced 39+ yrs. I can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practicein Los Angeles and Orange County, CA. I give only appointments over the phone., these services do not create an attorney client relationship. My answers may offend as I do not believe in pulling punches or sugar coating the truth, I use common sense as well as the law. Other state's laws may differ and I would appreciate it if you feel like marking my answers helpful or best. There are a lot of really good attorneys on this site, I will do limited appearances which are court documents , less expensive.

Have a local lawyer investigate

First, your relative should be ashamed.

Getting a lawyer involved in this figures to be financially unreasonably burdensome unless you are wealthy. I suggest that you gather up whatever evidence you have that this dog is yours, photographs, documents, or anything else, identify the person who has possession of the dog and prove to that person the dog is yours. Hopefully, the person will be both convinced of your veracity and sympathetic and will, therefore, voluntarily return the dog to you.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

Thanks

Thanks

Animal law topics