Skip to main content

I need a lawyer for an uncontested divorce.

New York, NY |

No property or children involved. Paying a one time lump sum to the spouse as an agreement that needs to be stated on the divorce papers and also state all previous contracts are null and void and that the husband holds no further liabilities.

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Check out google.

    Good luck.

  2. You can use the 'find a lawyer' function on this site to locate a few lawyers in your area. You don't have to hire the first person you talk to. Make a few appointments and see who you feel comfortable with. Many lawyers will offer free or cheap initial consultations, so there's no reason not to.

    Note that lawyers are explicitly prohibited from soliciting business in our answers here. (Some do it anyway, but we're not supposed to.) You'll have to take some initiative, contact a few people, and see who seem trustworthy and affordable. An uncontested divorce shouldn't be that expensive.

    Please read the following notice: <br> <br> Jay Bodzin is licensed to practice law in the State of Oregon and the Federal District of Oregon, and cannot give advice about the laws of other jurisdictions. All comments on this site are intended for informational purposes only, and do not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. No posts or comments on this site are in any way confidential. Each case is unique. You are advised to have counsel at all stages of any legal proceeding, and to speak with your own lawyer in private to get advice about your specific situation. <br> <br> Jay Bodzin, Northwest Law Office, 2075 SW First Avenue, Suite 2J, Portland, OR 97201 | Telephone: 503-227-0965 | Facsimile: 503-345-0926 | Email: | Online:

  3. Avvo's "find a lawyer" tab is a great place to start your search. For more tips on finding the right attorney for you, please see the link below. Good luck!

  4. You will need a settlement agreement outlining the terms between you and your spouse. The process is quick and simple in NY (no court appearances required). Visit for more information.

    Please note that this general response to your inquiry does not establish an attorney-client relationship.You should consult with a competent attorney for advice regarding your particular situation.

  5. Try AVVO find a lawyer tab. Both parties should have separate attorneys if an agreement will be reached. There should be full financial disclosure to insure the agreement is not set aside later.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

  6. Sounds like a relatively simple issue. Shop around on Avvo or other sites such as, or Keep in mind many attorneys in the outer boroughs such as Bronx or Brooklyn also practice in Manhattan.

    * If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics