Skip to main content

I need a lawyer. I endured 12+ yrs of DV he last yr he held our 10 yr old child & myself like prisoners in a house we were not

Beverly, MA |

allowed to see Dr's, had to ask permission to go buy food, etc he is a Police Off I sent MANY texts to other officers to help us but he had instructed them to ignore our pleas for help I got open lines to the Dept when he was about to hit me on one ocassion & they just called him & told him to leave, they still would not send any help to us. Him & his ,$3,500 lawyer he hired "to protect himself from us" has told me that I am entitled to nothing because we were married just under 5 yrs even though we lived together for lmost 13yrs??? He walked out on us multiple times for his affairs, documentis addicted to child pornography, also documented. for escaping he says issued an arrest for me, how? "will not pay for 1bite of food until we return TO HIM" We are nearly homeles terriied, need help

Attorney Answers 4

  1. I'm sorry that you are dealing with this unfortunate situation. You should consult a family law attorney immediately and if you cannot afford one, you may be able to get an attorney to help you at your local probate and family court. If you feel that you are in danger, call the police. Whatever you may or may not be entitled to is not up to him. It's up to the court. You may also want to consider a woman's shelter. Best of luck.

    The above is NOT legal advice, and is NOT intended to be legal advice. No Attorney-Client relationship is created through the above answer.

  2. I agree with Attorney Kremer, you should contact an attorney immediately. You should also consider the option of a women's shelter, that may be able to house you and your children. You could try calling the Alternative House at 888-291-6228 at their 24 hour hotline.

    If you cannot afford an attorney try contacting the Boston Bar Association to see if they have a list of pro bono or low fee attorneys who may be able to help you.

    I would also urge you to call the police if you're ever in danger. If he works for a city, try the state police instead, and vice versa.

    I hope your situation improves soon.

    My responses to questions on Avvo or other internet sites are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me or anyone at my firm. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services which I provide to my clients.

  3. The Safety of you and your child are most important. Everything else can wait.

    One good place to start for North Shore residents is to call Merrimack Valley North Shore Legal Services at 978-888-0014. I believe that Merrimack Valley also participates in the Battered Women's Legal Assistance Project. You can also go to the website of Jane Doe Inc. (link below) to find a domestic violence shelter near you.

    Once you and your children are safe, then you can pursue the legal aspects of your case. Good luck!

    This is intended for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship.

  4. Don't take anything your husband or his lawyer says at face value -- you need advice from someone who will advocate for you. Contact a local family law attorney right away. Since your husband is employed, the attorney may be able to get the court to order him to pay some or all of your legal fees. There are several attorneys on this list who practice in Essex Probate -- I suggest you do a search and make a few phone calls. You should also contact a local domestic violence or social service agency to help with safety and housing issues.

    Your child is certainly entitled to child support. I will defer to the family law attorneys about your potential eligibility for alimony.

    Good luck and take care.

    If you feel unsafe, contact a domestic violence agency.

    E. Alexandra "Sasha" Golden is a Massachusetts lawyer. All answers are based on Massachusetts law. All answers are for educational purposes and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question.