I need a lawyer, but my husband has all of the money, How do I get him to pay?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Santa Clarita, CA

I have already responded to the divorce, and we will be fighting over custody, he doesn't want to pay me child support. I've been married for 21 years, he moved out of the home and in with another woman. we have 3 children that I've been caring for since July. He does give me $300.00 a week for food, and is keeping the utilities on.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Michael Charles Schwerin

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree


    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . First, look here on AVVO using the "Find a Lawyer" function for a family law lawyer in your area that gives free consultations to educate yourself about the process and what is involved. If you cannot find one in your area here, call around and try to find one. Some lawyers will take a case for at least the initial filing for child support, spousal support and attorneys fees with a small retainer. You may need to use a credit card or borrow some money from a friend or a relative. This will at least get your support going at an appropriate level. The attorney will also try to get some attorneys fees from your spouse. If they are successful, they may continue to represent you. if they are not, then you may have to represent yourself from that point or find some money somewhere. You will know more now to handle the situation if you can have a consultation with 2 or 3 lawyers before choosing who you want to represent you. Good luck.

    Michael Schwerin, San Jose, California phone: 408-295-4232 email: schwerin@ix.netcom.com. Consultation fees,... more
  2. Tobie Brina Waxman

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . Are any hearing dates coming up? You can file a Request for Order for support, for payment of your legal fees, and for custody. There are plenty of attorneys out there that will be wiling to assist you with the expectation that your request for order that Dad pay your attorneys' fees will be granted.

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.


Alimony is the regular monetary allowance one ex-spouse may be required to pay the other after a divorce.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,909 answers this week

3,181 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,909 answers this week

3,181 attorneys answering