I need a Identity Theft Lawyer

Marshall, IL |

I just want to know what I can do if my credit was stolen by a fellow former employee. It went on 3 years ago and the police said there isn't much they can do. I know where this person lives but it is about 4 hours and a different state from where it occured. What can I do about it I want it to get off my credit because it is causing some problems for me with collectors saying I owe them money. I want to know how I can get some justice for this.

Couple of thing I forgot to add the apartment that he put the electric under was owned by my employer. he got the social security number off my application which was never locked up in a safe room. I was just wondering what I need to do to get some justice from all of this because right now that man is free and my employer has done nothing to help me out. I just want this three year nightmare to go away.

Quick and easy:

1- Make a police report if you have not already done so;

2- Send a copy of the report to all of the big three credit reporting agencies, Equifax, Experian, Trans Union;

3- Get a good consumer attorney at either NACA or MyFairCredit, linked below

Good luck with it.

I agree with the prior poster, that you should be able to get the identity theft items off your credit report, along with getting the collectors off your case. You may have to hire an attorney to assist you if your own disputes do not result in the items being removed, but most reputable consumer attorneys will take this type of case on a contingency basis if they believe your story is truthful, and they can try to obtain monetary damages for you. The prior poster was correct about that National Association of Consumer Advocates' web site as being a good place to find such an attorney. As far as pursuing the ID thief, unfortunately, that is best dealt with by the criminal side of the court system (and sadly, going after ID thieves is often a low priority in many jurisdictions). Most private attorneys won't be willing to go after the actual ID thief because it is too hard to collect from somebody like that, assuming you can even find them to serve them with the lawsuit.

The above response is not intended to create, nor does it create either an attorney-client relationship or an ongoing duty to respond to questions. It is intended to be solely the educated opinion of the author and should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the inquiring person and additional or differing facts might change the response. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the state of Illinois. Responses are answers to general legal questions and the inquiring party should consult a local attorney for specific answers and advice.