Skip to main content

I need a family attorney that does not charge thousands of dollars in retainer fees. Legal aid won't help.

Charlotte, NC |

Legal aid tells me they only deal in domestic violence cases. I have had spoken with about 5 local attorneys and spent about $1000.00 in consultation fees. I cannot afford the thousands of dollars in fees for representation to get custody of my son back. My credit is bad, so a loan or credit card is out of the question. I am on SS disability, my husband is a contractor and his jobs are not steady. I pay child support through disability that is half of what I net. My parents (who have custody) use that money for an attorney. Any suggestions?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Call your state/county bar association and seek a referral. Unfortunately, like nurses, barbers, and other professionals, lawyers expect to be paid for their efforts and you lack of finances makes taking no retainer a big risk for the attorney. Many offer free consultations, and many attorneys will be willing to work out payment schedules. Also, law schools sometimes run legal clinics that take on cases.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.


I definitely agree that you should contact your local bar association to see if they can give you a good referral. If you are veteran, you may consider looking for help through a Veteran's Legal clinic in the area. The previous answer suggesting a law student aid clinic is also a good option.

I wish you the best of luck.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer