Skip to main content

I need a criminal defense Attorney

18927 |

I recently was arrested for retail theft In Bucks County, was my first offense I have never been arrested before.While I do have some Driving violations, that is it. My restitution was only for $10.00.While I heard that ARD program will expunge the conviction. is the arrest that will remain on your record and can be view publicly by anyone who does a background check. I am interested in obtaining a certificate of innocence. How do I go about getting the DA to consider it? Please help so scared and confused.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. You contact an experienced criminal defense attorney to discuss the case. There are many options available to handle this type of case. You have made a good first step by seeking out an attorney.

    The above is a general answer but should not be considered specific legal advice for your case. It is in your best interest to contact a qualified attorney to discuss the particular facts of your individual situation.

  2. An expungement will also take care of the arrest. Also ard is not a conviction it's just an arrest.

    DISCLAIMER: Answers are not of fact, but rather the opinion of the attorney answering the questions asked. At no time does this answer create an attorney-client relationship. To the extent that these answers may become available to the general public there is no confidentiality as it pertains to this answer or question. The law changes frequently, and the material on this website is for general information purposes only and neither constitutes nor is intended to be legal advice. Prior to acting based upon this general information you SHOULD seek legal counsel regarding your specific legal matter. The outcome of every case is dependent on the specific facts and legal circumstances of each individual case. This website is not an offer to represent you, which can only be made after a consultation with one of the attorneys from The Lawyer answering this question does not intend to practice in any other jurisdictions where it is not licensed. Attorney is Licensed in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. The firm does not seek to represent anyone viewing this website in other jurisdictions, and the website may not comply with the laws and ethical rules of states other than Pennsylvania and New Jersey.

  3. An expungment will not only remove the conviction but also your arrest record. I suspect that you were actually cited and not arrested if the restitution was only $10.00. A record will be maintained ONLY to show that you have a prior Retail Theft as subsequent convictions are at an escalated grading and penalty. That information however should not be available to the general public. The DA won't just give you a "certificate of Innocence". The best thing you can do is retain a good attorney to assist you.

    This information does not create an attorney /client relationship and should not be use or relied upon to make any decision in your case. Only consultation with your own attorney can provide you with the advice you need for your case.

  4. I think you are getting ahead of yourself. There may be many outcomes of the case before you consider ARD. As my colleagues suggested, you need to consult a criminal defense attorney. Most of us here will provide a first free consultation.

  5. While you didn't say specifically if this is a misdemeanor or summary offense (I am leaning to summary since you said a $10.00 restitution) each is treated differently. If it is a summary offense, you cannot get ARD. The case has to be handled at the local level. If it is a misdemeanor, then you probbaly may qualify for ARD. I, along with my colleagues, will be willing to discuss this with you in a telephone/office setting.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics