I need a criminal defense Attorney

Asked 5 months ago - 18927

I recently was arrested for retail theft In Bucks County, PA.it was my first offense I have never been arrested before.While I do have some Driving violations, that is it. My restitution was only for $10.00.While I heard that ARD program will expunge the conviction. ..it is the arrest that will remain on your record and can be view publicly by anyone who does a background check. I am interested in obtaining a certificate of innocence. How do I go about getting the DA to consider it? Please help so scared and confused.

1. Adam D. Zucker

Pro

3

Answered . An expungment will not only remove the conviction but also your arrest record. I suspect that you were actually cited and not arrested if the restitution was only $10.00. A record will be maintained ONLY to show that you have a prior Retail Theft as subsequent convictions are at an escalated grading and penalty. That information however should not be available to the general public. The DA won't just give you a "certificate of Innocence". The best thing you can do is retain a good attorney to assist you.

2. Michael Kotik

Pro

2

1

Answered . An expungement will also take care of the arrest. Also ard is not a conviction it's just an arrest.

3. Lidia L. Alperovich

Pro

2

1

Answered . I think you are getting ahead of yourself. There may be many outcomes of the case before you consider ARD. As my colleagues suggested, you need to consult a criminal defense attorney. Most of us here will provide a first free consultation.

4. Theodore H. Swan Jr.

Pro

1

1

Answered . While you didn't say specifically if this is a misdemeanor or summary offense (I am leaning to summary since you said a $10.00 restitution) each is treated differently. If it is a summary offense, you cannot get ARD. The case has to be handled at the local level. If it is a misdemeanor, then you probbaly may qualify for ARD. I, along with my colleagues, will be willing to discuss this with you in a telephone/office setting.

5. Geoffrey David Hood

Pro

1

Answered . You contact an experienced criminal defense attorney to discuss the case. There are many options available to handle this type of case. You have made a good first step by seeking out an attorney.