I need a consultation with a family law attorney.

Asked over 3 years ago - Virginia Beach, VA

Children involved.

1. 2

Answered . Attorneys who provide consultations in family law matters (myself included) will generally charge a consultation fee. Unless you want to waste an hour of your time, avoid the "free consultations" which consist of a sales pitch but provide very little, if any, substantive advice.
    Also look for a lawyer who concentrates in this area of the law. With something this important, you do not want a jack of all trades.

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship and is intended for general information purposes only.
  2. Answered . The idea behind AVVO is that you give details about your situation in order to receive free legal advice. Since you already believe that you need a Family Law Attorney, you can go online and look for commentary there about family law attorneys. You can go to www.lawyers.com, which is a paid advertising program to which attorneys subscribe. Check with your employer's Employee Benefits department to be sure that you don't already have a fee-free consultation right through your Employee Benefits program. Ask around among your co-workers and friends- a personal referral usually is the best possible referral you can get. Otherwise, call the Virginia State bar's lawyer referral 800 number, and ask for a referral to a Child Custody attorney.