I need a civil lawyer to sue the police department

Asked over 2 years ago - Colorado Springs, CO

Due to a previous incident, a man broke into my house and assaulted me and I had to go to the ER. 2 months later I found out who the guy was. When I told the police, NOT ONLY did they tell me face to face that they wouldn't do anything about it, But I was actually told that I DESERVED it and if I called the police again I would be charged with filing false reports

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Christopher Daniel Leroi

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I do not really think that this is a civil rights complaint. Police departments have the authority to refuse to investigate or charge offenses all of the time and there is nothing that we as citizens really have as a recourse, except for asking the local District Attorney to look into it. You might want to address with with the El Paso County DA's Office run by Dan May. They have numerous people who handle complaints such as your's about officers not following through with case. The DA is the chief law enforcement officer is any judicial district.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,102 answers this week

2,761 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,102 answers this week

2,761 attorneys answering