I my 89-year old mother wants to transfer the title of her modest home to me... What steps must I take? We live in Texas.

Asked 9 months ago - Austin, TX

My mother lives independently at 89-years old in Corpus Christi (CC) Tx. She wants to move to Austin where I live. my brothers who once lived in CC have deceased and she has no family there to take care of her. She wants to transfer the title of her little home to me. It's worth very little, she has little-to -no other assets and would like to move to a small HUD property- but must first get the home out of her name.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Kevin Mark Jones

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . You need to find an experienced real estate attorney in the local area to handle this for you, particularly one with some experience in elder law. You also need to ensure your mother is of sound mind and body for the transfer, or you may find yourself in a nasty legal battle over her estate once she is gone from other family who feel you may have taken unfair advantage of her to get her property.

    I am an attorney licensed to practice in Texas, Louisiana and before the United States Patent and Trademark Office.... more
  2. Brent Allen Devere

    Contributor Level 13
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . There definitely may be adverse implications related to the transfer of the title. An estate/probate attorney or elder law attorney would probably be the best type of attorney for this matter.

  3. Richard D. Hayes

    Contributor Level 11

    Answered . Hire a real estate lawyer to guide you. More than likely he will prepare a deed for your mom to transfer title to you.

  4. Mark Allen Land

    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . I agree with the other answers. You should consult with an attorney (either in Austin or Corpus, it doesn't really matter) to make sure this is done properly.

    It should not be terribly expensive. If done improperly, it could cause problems with eligibility for her new housing, probate issue (upon her passing), and title issues (when you try to sell the property later.

    Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,161 answers this week

3,192 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,161 answers this week

3,192 attorneys answering