I must represent myself in concluding divorce case and drop attorney, his fees and lack of resolution literally makes me ill.

Asked over 1 year ago - Petaluma, CA

Where/how do I drop attorney & represent myself?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Adrienne Patricia Allen

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree it's best to proceed with an attorney on your side. Is there a way you can get another attorney before you drop this one, so you are not representing yourself? I agree that divorces can get very expensive, especially if it is a bitter fight. If you are questioning this attorney's fees you can file a fee dipute arbitration through the state bar. However, if the attorney did the work he or she billed for, you are not likley to win. Good luck to you.

    I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. The above answer is for general... more
  2. Joseph Jonathan Brophy

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You have a perfect right to discharge your attorney any time for any reason or no reason. That said, it's usually a really bad idea to proceed without a lawyer. A lawyer you don't like is almost always better than no lawyer at all. Many of the worst problems lawyers are asked to solve are caused by people who try to deal with legal problems without representation. Divorce is no exception. Disputes among people who are angry tend to run up big legal fees because settlement is difficult and requires compromise which the parties see as surrender. People involved in divorces are almost always so emotional, angry and stressed out that their judgment is impaired. That's all the more reason they need lawyers. Sometimes in a divorce what the client perceives as lack of resolution is actually wisdom and appropriate caution on the part of the lawyer. Think about it.

    Any opinions stated in response to Avvo questions are based upon the facts stated in the question. Responses to... more
  3. Michael Raymond Daymude

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You contact your attorney and advise you no longer wish his/her services. The procedure is as simple as signing a substitution of attorney form which your attorney will prepare for your signature. Once signed by each of you the form is served and filed with the court.

    I am licensed in California only and my answers on Avvo assume California law. Answers provided by me are for... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Divorce Attorney Ethics

Attorney ethics in divorce are typically the same as normal ethics rules, though romantic relations with a client are often restricted.

Alan James Brinkmeier

Ethics: Yes I Need a Lawyer!

Check Background Always check background, experience, and disciplinary record before you hire the lawyer. You should inquire about the specifics of a lawyer's background while you are... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

24,150 answers this week

2,802 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

24,150 answers this week

2,802 attorneys answering