I moved to another State 2-1/2 years ago. Can the buyer of my house , in the State that I came from, sue me.

Asked 7 months ago - Henderson, NV

I had a contract for the sale of my house in New Jersey that fell through 4 years ago. I had moved to Nevada 2-1/2 years ago. Can the buyer sue me because the sale fell through? I no longer live in NJ.

Thank you for any response.

1. Richard Edmund Hawkins

Pro

2

Answered . This is a matter of New Jersey law, not Nevada. You really need to ask there.

2. Andrew H. Pastwick

Answered . Based on the information provided, I believe that the statute of limitations for New Jersey is six years on a contract dispute. So yes, the buyer can sue you in New Jersey. Please be advised that I am not licensed in New Jersey, and therefore you may want to contact a New Jersey licensed attorney for additional information and advice.

3. Shaye Larkin

1

Answered . I can't comment on the merits of the lawsuit, but if you are deemed to have breached a contract you can certainly be sued in the state where the contract was breached, even if you have since moved.