I moved out out 10/15/12. I lived in the apartment for 3 years. They are billing me $516 for full carpet replacement.

Asked over 1 year ago - Pataskala, OH

they say it is for pet damage. I have a 5 lb dog that has never had any accidents. She was fully potty trained before I moved in. they said there was pet damage in 2nd bedroom and my dog never even went in that room. The carpets were not new when i moved in. What can I do? I might have some pictures from last christmas that show the floor.. thats just going to be in one area though.. would that help? I do not want to pay for something that I did not cause.

There was no walk through done or offered. I had called them and left a message before I moved out asking what they needed from me before i moved and left my cell#. They never called. I received this notice by them mailing it to my old address and it was forwarded to me.

1. Ryan Adam Ballard

Answered . You should consult with a local attorney ASAP. They are billing you for $500 beyond the security deposit? Local rules may differ, but in states I am familiar with the landlord must prove there was actual damage and not just ordinary wear and tear. I believe he would bear the burden of proving there were sufficient damages. I also believe this is an issue which could be resolved in small claims court.