I moved in August 2, 2012 my lease is suppose to be up July 31, 2013 for a 12 month lease correct?

Des Moines, IA |

My landlord said my lease is not up until August 31,2013 because I didn't move in until August 2, 2013 ....She is adding an extra MONTH to my lease. She told me I will be responsible for August rent even if I moved out on the 31st of July. I am confused I have rented before and this has never happened...Is this legal ? Should I get a lawyer ? I feel like they are forcing me to stay and or be responsible for this although my lease is ending July 31,2013 . The end date is not written in my lease agreement but this is how renting usually goes you move out the last day of the month before you moved in. If I have to stay until August 31,2013 that would making my move in date September not August. I don't know what to do they didn't accept my 30day notice to vacate because of this PLEASE HELP

1. It is impossible to answer your question without reviewing the lease. I have never seen a lease that was not clear when the starting and ending dates were--not that such leases do not exist, as there are some strange leases out there. If you would like a definitive answer to your question, you will need to have an attorney review the lease.

By the very nature of Avvo, you have only provided limited facts and no documentation, therefore, our response to your question is treated only as a hypothetical, and as such it is merely general in nature. You should not rely on this response in taking or forgoing action in your circumstances without discussing this matter with an attorney. If we had the opportunity to ask you sufficient questions and review relevant documents so that we were satisfied we had all of the relevant facts and circumstances, our response might differ significantly. Without the opportunity to ask you questions, and review all relevant documents and memoranda, we are simply unable to provide any form of legal advice. Our response to your question does not create any attorney-client relationship between us, and we are not acting as your attorney. We reserve the right to decline representation in any case. By answering your question, we are under no obligation to answer further questions. There are very specific deadlines for filing a lawsuit, replying to a lawsuit filed against you, or taking other action in order to preserve your legal rights. You should contact an attorney immediately in order to be fully advised of your rights, and so that you are aware of those deadlines. If you fail to act within the required time frame, you might be forever barred from asserting your rights or defending your position. The attorney answering this question is licensed in Illinois and Iowa only.