I missed my jury duty date!

Salinas, CA |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I was scheduled for jury duty on 7/5/11. I totally forgot and did not call in the night before for instructions. What should I do? I do not want to pay a fine nor go to jail. I actually do not mind going to jury duty but I forgot about the date. Please advise.

Call the jury commissioner, say "sorry" and ask if yo can be put into another group or panel.

The above is not intended as legal advice.

Robert Lee Marshall

Robert Lee Marshall

Looks like Harry & I hit the "send" button within seconds of each other!

There are so many people who just ignore a jury summons that few are ever arrested or jailed (although some counties are more aggressive than others),

Contact the jury commissioner immediately. The number should be on your jury summons.

Explain the situation, apologize profusely, and offer to be present on the next jury trial date, or whenever they need you.

The longer you wait, the more likely they will assume your failure to show up for jury duty was deliberate, not an oversight.

Please understand that this is a general discussion of legal principles by a California lawyer and does not create an attorney/client relationship. It's impossible to give detailed, accurate advice based on a few sentences on a website (and you shouldn't provide too much specific information about your legal matter on a public forum like this site, anyway). You should always seek advice from an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction who can give you an informed opinion after reviewing all of the relevant information.

It looks like you live in Salinas. If so, you might want to just go down to the courthouse in Salinas and let them know that you missed your date. Or give them a call at 775-5400 x 3006. My recommendation is to avoid going there or calling on Monday morning, that is when they are most busy with new jurors and less likely to have the time to help you. Don't worry though, the other attorneys are correct - be honest, apologize, and ask for the next available jury duty date and they will be happy to oblige I'm sure.