I missed my jury duty date!

Asked about 3 years ago - Salinas, CA

I was scheduled for jury duty on 7/5/11. I totally forgot and did not call in the night before for instructions. What should I do? I do not want to pay a fine nor go to jail. I actually do not mind going to jury duty but I forgot about the date. Please advise.

1. Harry Edward Hudson Jr

1

Answered . Call the jury commissioner, say "sorry" and ask if yo can be put into another group or panel.

The above is not intended as legal advice.
  2. Robert Lee Marshall

Answered . There are so many people who just ignore a jury summons that few are ever arrested or jailed (although some counties are more aggressive than others),

Contact the jury commissioner immediately. The number should be on your jury summons.

Explain the situation, apologize profusely, and offer to be present on the next jury trial date, or whenever they need you.

The longer you wait, the more likely they will assume your failure to show up for jury duty was deliberate, not an oversight.

3. Andrew Ging Liu

Answered . It looks like you live in Salinas. If so, you might want to just go down to the courthouse in Salinas and let them know that you missed your date. Or give them a call at 775-5400 x 3006. My recommendation is to avoid going there or calling on Monday morning, that is when they are most busy with new jurors and less likely to have the time to help you. Don't worry though, the other attorneys are correct - be honest, apologize, and ask for the next available jury duty date and they will be happy to oblige I'm sure.