I missed a discovery hearing and was sanctioned by the court on a case of a credit card debt. Could I appeal the judgment or

Asked over 1 year ago - Vista, CA

what should I do next?

1. Herb Fox

1

Answered . Whether you can appeal immediately or whether you need to await the final judgment depends on the amount of the sanctions awarded ($5,000 or more is immediately appealable). If the sanctionsn were terminating sanctions - resulting in a dismissal or a judgment of the entire case - you need to appeal now.
    Depending on the reason why you missed the hearing, you might first try a motion to vacate the order/judgment (Civil procedure 473).

2. Lloyd Stewart Mann

Pro

Answered . No. You cannot appeal. In theory, you could bring a motion for reconsideration in front of the same judge who issued the sanctions, but that would be difficult. You should make sure to comply with whatever discovery orders were issued since your failure to do so could lead to further sanctions including losing the case.