I may need a mental health defense lawyer to defend my sanity.

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

I was informed of a possibility that some individuals are planning to put a case together to have me court ordered into a mental hospital and drugged up.
As i do believe i am sane, and not a danger to myself or others and that i am not gravely disabled, I think i would like to start talking to a lawyer that could or would defend me in such a case.
What kind of lawyer do I need and is there anything i should know about these proceedings?

1. Robert David Devin

Pro

2

Answered . You may be referring to what is called being "Baker Acted" meaning involuntarily committed for a 72 hour examination by mental health professionals. Sometimes this is done by police when a person gives signs of concerning behavior. See these links for further information:

http://www.myflfamilies.com/service-programs/me...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Mental_Hea...

2. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

1

Answered . I have never heard of a mental health attorney.
    If you are Baker Acted you may want an attorney to assist you in proving that you are not a danger to yourself or others. This is a civil rights issue. Therefore you may want to look for an attorney who practices constiutional law or a general litigator.

3. Mickey David Larson

2

Answered . I am not licensed to practice law in Florida, but I recommend that you use Avvo's "Find a Lawyer" feature above to find a local health care or privacy attorney who may be willing to represent you. I hope this helps. Take care.