I may need a mental health defense lawyer to defend my sanity.

Miami, FL |

I was informed of a possibility that some individuals are planning to put a case together to have me court ordered into a mental hospital and drugged up.
As i do believe i am sane, and not a danger to myself or others and that i am not gravely disabled, I think i would like to start talking to a lawyer that could or would defend me in such a case.
What kind of lawyer do I need and is there anything i should know about these proceedings?

I am not licensed to practice law in Florida, but I recommend that you use Avvo's "Find a Lawyer" feature above to find a local health care or privacy attorney who may be willing to represent you. I hope this helps. Take care.

My discussion with you regarding the question you posted on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship, nor is my response to your question to be considered legal advice. While I do my best to provide helpful responses given the factual scenario presented, proper analysis of any matter requires a more in-depth conversation than what is practical on Avvo. If you are a member of the military, or if an immediate family member of yours lost his or her life while fighting for our country, I am proud to offer a 10% discount on my fee.

You may be referring to what is called being "Baker Acted" meaning involuntarily committed for a 72 hour examination by mental health professionals. Sometimes this is done by police when a person gives signs of concerning behavior. See these links for further information:

http://www.myflfamilies.com/service-programs/mental-health/baker-act-manual

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Mental_Health_Act

Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. Landlord/Tenant, Appellate and Criminal Defense. Robert Devin, Esq. (954) 647-5927, 200 SE 6th St., Suite 603, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33301 robert@devinlawfirm.net

It is also done when people intend to abuse other people, through locking them up, harrassing them, drugging them up etc. As there is no clear line for what determines someone crazy or not, its all up for opinion and its all 'legal'. Sometimes its done by parents to their children etc. Like the autism frenzy. Are you a mental health or medical malpracitce or defense lawyer?

Robert David Devin

Robert David Devin

No, this is not my area of expertise. If you do not have money for a lawyer, you may want to call legal aid in your area and they can point you in the right direction.

I have never heard of a mental health attorney.
If you are Baker Acted you may want an attorney to assist you in proving that you are not a danger to yourself or others. This is a civil rights issue. Therefore you may want to look for an attorney who practices constiutional law or a general litigator.