I may need a mental health defense lawyer to defend my sanity.

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

I was informed of a possibility that some individuals are planning to put a case together to have me court ordered into a mental hospital and drugged up.
As i do believe i am sane, and not a danger to myself or others and that i am not gravely disabled, I think i would like to start talking to a lawyer that could or would defend me in such a case.
What kind of lawyer do I need and is there anything i should know about these proceedings?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Robert David Devin


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You may be referring to what is called being "Baker Acted" meaning involuntarily committed for a 72 hour examination by mental health professionals. Sometimes this is done by police when a person gives signs of concerning behavior. See these links for further information:



    Attorney answers to questions are for general purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship.... more
  2. Kyndra L. Mulder

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I have never heard of a mental health attorney.
    If you are Baker Acted you may want an attorney to assist you in proving that you are not a danger to yourself or others. This is a civil rights issue. Therefore you may want to look for an attorney who practices constiutional law or a general litigator.

  3. Mickey David Larson

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I am not licensed to practice law in Florida, but I recommend that you use Avvo's "Find a Lawyer" feature above to find a local health care or privacy attorney who may be willing to represent you. I hope this helps. Take care.

    My discussion with you regarding the question you posted on Avvo does not create an attorney-client relationship,... more

Related Topics

Legal malpractice and negligence

Legal malpractice is when an attorney harms a client through unreasonable errors, and harm would not have occurred "but for" the errors.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,875 answers this week

3,389 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,875 answers this week

3,389 attorneys answering