Skip to main content

I may be moving to Oklahoma from California. I have a license with an IID restrictions under SB598.

San Diego, CA |

Can I obtain an OK license, do I need to maintain an IID for CA? Can I get an OK IID if I can get a vehicle there or when I get my OK license will I be ok?

Attorney Answers 4


You may obtain an OK license (assuming you've fulfilled all other obligations) but will have to complete your IID requirements for CA. You will have to locate a new IID company in OK who can report compliance to CA.

If my answer has been helpful please note that. We answer these questions free of charge and appreciate the feedback.

Mark as helpful

5 lawyers agree


A good question for an OK attorney. Approximately 35 states share a common database and if your license is suspended in one state, then it is likely that your driving privileges would be revoked in the other 35 states. Whether OK is part of that database is something an OK attorney would know. Good luck.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


You do need to maintain your IID. That makes sense because otherwise anyone saddled with an IID requirement could move to another state to avoid it. Mr. Cernyar's advice of locating an Oklahoma company that can report compliance is also good because, with an IID, you will have to check in periodically with such a company and to have the device checked for calibration and manipulation.

When or not you are eligible for an OK license, while under order from CA to have an IID, is a wholly different issue. I would ask the DMV in Oklahoma.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

6 lawyers agree


Maintenance of the IID is likely a condition of your probation, so unless that gets modified it is required by CA no matter where you move to. How you would get in trouble here for something that happens in another state is to be determined I suppose.

As for the specifics as to what Oklahoma will require, check with Oklahoma DMV and/or an experienced Oklahoma licensed criminal defense attorney.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics