I may be moving to Oklahoma from California. I have a license with an IID restrictions under SB598.

Asked 11 months ago - San Diego, CA

Can I obtain an OK license, do I need to maintain an IID for CA? Can I get an OK IID if I can get a vehicle there or when I get my OK license will I be ok?

1. Greg Thomas Hill

6

1

Answered . You do need to maintain your IID. That makes sense because otherwise anyone saddled with an IID requirement could move to another state to avoid it. Mr. Cernyar's advice of locating an Oklahoma company that can report compliance is also good because, with an IID, you will have to check in periodically with such a company and to have the device checked for calibration and manipulation.

When or not you are eligible for an OK license, while under order from CA to have an IID, is a wholly different issue. I would ask the DMV in Oklahoma.

2. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

6

Answered . A good question for an OK attorney. Approximately 35 states share a common database and if your license is suspended in one state, then it is likely that your driving privileges would be revoked in the other 35 states. Whether OK is part of that database is something an OK attorney would know. Good luck.

3. William Mark Weinberg

5

Answered . You may obtain an OK license (assuming you've fulfilled all other obligations) but will have to complete your IID requirements for CA. You will have to locate a new IID company in OK who can report compliance to CA.

If my answer has been helpful please note that. We answer these questions free of charge and appreciate the feedback.
  4. David Philip Shapiro

Pro

3

Answered . Maintenance of the IID is likely a condition of your probation, so unless that gets modified it is required by CA no matter where you move to. How you would get in trouble here for something that happens in another state is to be determined I suppose.

As for the specifics as to what Oklahoma will require, check with Oklahoma DMV and/or an experienced Oklahoma licensed criminal defense attorney.