I married so i am eligible for I130 file and can we reopen the file again?

Asked over 1 year ago - New Britain, CT

My mom's younger sister put I130 filed for our whole family in 2000.In some reason they close our file,may be lack of documents so my question is that can we reopen the file again?And one more question is that i am included in that file too so i married last year so can i eligible for that file?

1. Dana Roxana Bucin

3

Answered . You should consult an immigraiton attorney. It depends on why the initial I-130 was "closed". If, however, you are now married to a US citizen, you may have independent grounds to get a green cacrd, provided you fulfill certain conditions. Talk to a lawyer, since this is very fact-specific, and a general question on Avvo is no substitute for solid legal advice based on your specific situation.

2. Alexus Paul Sham

Pro

3

Answered . it is best to consult an immigration attorney. The language in the statute says that the I-130 petition must be approvable when filed. If there was insufficient documentation you may not be able to reopen the prior petition.

3. J Charles Ferrari

3

Answered . can we reopen the file again?
    Cannot be determined without an examination of the file.

i am included in that file too so i married last year so can i eligible for that file?
    No

4. Lalita Haran

Answered . You could not reopen the old file but you may be able to file based on your marriage.
    Lalita Haran
    Attorney: Immigration Law
    13295 Illinois St Ste 128
    Carmel IN 46032
    Ph: (317) 660-6174
    www.haranlaw.com