I married my husband about 7 years ago. My house, located in Washington State, was totally paid for before we got married.

Asked over 1 year ago - Renton, WA

It is in my name only, and I have paid all maintenance from my personal checking account. I want the house to go to my children, and my husband agrees with that plan. Do I need a trust, or can I stipulate in a will what I want to happen, assuming he also signs in some manner to indicate his agreement?

1. Justin Eric Elder

Pro

5

Answered . Without knowing all your family's information it would be irresponsible to offer an opinion. Any time you have an estate that is large enough to include a paid-for house, it is in your best interest to have your estate planned by a knowledgeable attorney.

2. Elizabeth Rankin Powell

4

Answered . A trust in WA is more of a tax planning instrument, but if you are intent that you want this house to go to your children, I agree that it is worth it to make an appointment and go discuss this with a knowledgeable local estate planning attorney. Irv Sonkin and Theresa Schrempp in Bellevue are very good at this. I wholeheartedly recommend their work. Elizabeth Powell

Using Avvo does not form an attorney client relationship.
  3. E.P. Hackenberg

Pro

3

Answered . While I agree with the other answers that you benefit from meeting with an attorney, I would like to add a Will is certainly an appropriate tool to dispose of your property at the time of your passing.

4. Eric Jerome Gold

Pro

4

Answered . Attorney Elder is correct. Based on your statement of information, you would be wise to consult with a local estate planning attorney to be sure that you are able to achieve your wishes. If you need a referral to an attorney, try the local bar association or the Avvo Find a Lawyer tool.