Skip to main content

I married foreign national in foreign country, have had no contact in many years and want to be divorced.

Harrisburg, PA |
Filed under: Divorce

I was married in Belize ten years ago to a Belizean . I returned to America before a year had ended . I have heard from him sporadically since and haven't been able to contact him by phone or mail . Last time I spoke to him I was told he had no address because he lived in the jungle where no road goes and he only used the phone when he went into town . Is the marriage recognized in the states ? How can I get a divorce from someone I can't locate ? Could it be considered abandonment ? I want to be able to move on after so many years , what can I do to be able to legally remarry ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You may seek a divorce in the Pennsylvania county in which you have lived for at least six months. Notice that you are seeking a divorce can be accomplished by publication if you have a general idea of where your husband is living. An experienced divorce attorney will be able to assist you in this process.

Each person's situation is unique. My answers are based on general concepts of law. In most cases a one and one-half hour minimum consultation is needed to understand the facts and circumstances surrounding a matter before legal advise can be given.


I agree with my colleague. It is a hard for many to conceptualize the idea that foreign marriages are valid in the U.S. Consequently, one must obtain a divorce and that can be accomplished in your locality. You should consult with divorce attorneys in your county. Good luck!

This answer is for general informational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. It is always recommended that you contact an attorney licensed in your state, that practices in the relevant area of law, to schedule an in-person consultation.

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer