Skip to main content

I married an inmate at a Federal Prison Camp on 12/6/11. We have never lived together. Can I file as single/head of household?

Shawnee, KS |

I have a minor child from a previous marriage. He is still incarcerated and has minimal income from his prison camp job.

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Take a look at page 7 of publication 501 You may be able to file head of household if you meet all the requirements (but you may not file single). Nevertheless, it may be more beneficial, tax-wise, for you to file married filing joint.