I married a woman that is a Japanese citizen.

Asked over 1 year ago - Columbia, MD

She is here on a J1 Visa that expired in January. We were married in December of last year. What are the forms we need to submit to have her legal status changed? Do I need only the I-485, or are there other forms that need to be filed as well? Please provide a clear list of needed documents.

Thanks,

James C. Posey

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

7

1

Answered . Is she subject to home residency requirement? If yes, she will need a waiver.

2. Tripti Sharad Sharma

5

Answered . I agree with Attorney Segal. Depending on whether she is subject to the 2 year home residency requirement, you may need a waiver before you file.

3. Rachel Moguel

3

Answered . There are a lot of follow up questions that need to be answered first before you can get a clear answer. I would recommend that you consult with an experience immigration attorney before proceeding on your own.

4. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

1

Answered . She may need a waiver if she is subject to the two year home residency requirement. Other than that, all of the forms required to petition for an immediate relative should be available on the USCIS website. You will then also have to submit all of the relevant documentation to prove that your marriage is a bona fide one. Unfortunately, there is no single clear list of such documents - supporting evidence is compiled on a case-by-case basis.

5. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . What needs to be done depends on your own status and whether she is subject to the two year foreign residency requirement because of her J-1.

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.