I married a woman that is a Japanese citizen.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Columbia, MD

She is here on a J1 Visa that expired in January. We were married in December of last year. What are the forms we need to submit to have her legal status changed? Do I need only the I-485, or are there other forms that need to be filed as well? Please provide a clear list of needed documents.


James C. Posey

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Alexander Joseph Segal

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Is she subject to home residency requirement? If yes, she will need a waiver.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866)... more
  2. Tripti Sharad Sharma


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with Attorney Segal. Depending on whether she is subject to the 2 year home residency requirement, you may need a waiver before you file.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more
  3. Rachel Moguel

    Contributor Level 5


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are a lot of follow up questions that need to be answered first before you can get a clear answer. I would recommend that you consult with an experience immigration attorney before proceeding on your own.

  4. Samuel Patrick Ouya Maina

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . She may need a waiver if she is subject to the two year home residency requirement. Other than that, all of the forms required to petition for an immediate relative should be available on the USCIS website. You will then also have to submit all of the relevant documentation to prove that your marriage is a bona fide one. Unfortunately, there is no single clear list of such documents - supporting evidence is compiled on a case-by-case basis.

    Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 s.ouya@mainalaw.com Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street,... more
  5. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . What needs to be done depends on your own status and whether she is subject to the two year foreign residency requirement because of her J-1.

    You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case. You can find one through http://www.ailalawyer.com.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

US visas

There are many types of immigrant and non-immigrant visas, including work visas, student visas, and marriage visas.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

16,911 answers this week

2,290 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

16,911 answers this week

2,290 attorneys answering