I make a shampoo and conditioner from my home that im interested in selling to the public...is it legal to do so?

I have a salon owner who is interested in selling my product in his salon with his own labels on it...how do I go about doing this in compliance with Michigan laws and who is responsible say there should b a suit for some reason over the product from a consumer...?

Turner, MI -

Brook McCray Smith

Brook McCray Smith

Business Attorney - Ann Arbor, MI

In addition to complying with Michigan law, you will also need to comply with Federal laws and regulations, particularly regulations promulgated by the FDA. Please discuss your plan with a business attorney before proceeding further.

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Rixon Charles Rafter III

Litigation Lawyer - Fairfax, VA

You would be sued personally if something happened and you had failed to properly (legally) establish a business entity. Also, failing to establish yourself within the requirements if your state's laws could run you afoul of your city/state tax boards, licensing authorities, and the IRS. Dollars to donuts, you can't just make and sell shampoo- too many health issues. STRONGLY recommend you engage with a MI business attorney immediately--BEFORE you attempt to distribute any product and open yourself to personal liability. Best of luck to you (don't let the bureaucracy of the process get you down!

Daniel Nathan Ballard

Daniel Nathan Ballard

Business Attorney - Sacramento, CA

Hair shampoo and conditioners are regulated by, at least, the Food and Drug Administration as "cosmetics." Visit the link below to read just an overview of the rules that apply to the manufacturer, packaging and advertising of cosmetics. Your own attorney needs to assist you to comply with those rules. Query Google for [ cosmetics attorneys ] to locate one with experience in this area. You should also read an article about the regulation of cosmetics and familiarize yourself with the information published by the leading cosmetics trade group, the Personal Care Products Council [visit the links below].

You will also need assistance in forming a company through which you'll need to business and drafting an agreement between your company and the salon owner. Good luck.

Bruce E. Burdick

Bruce E. Burdick

Intellectual Property Law Attorney - Alton, IL

You have a host of intellectual property issues and labeling issues that you need to address. See a Michigan business attorney familiar with both areas of the law in order to determine what you need to do.