I made an error on my FL-100 form (Divorce Application), there asking for settlement aggrement which going to be imposible.

Asked about 1 year ago - Sacramento, CA

Are the errors fixable. On the for FL-100 Item #5) I check B instead of A because my soon to be ex & I, don't have any COMMUNITY PROPERTY when we wore together. So what do I need to do to fix this. The clerk at the courthouse just told me to visit online & check out the help desk. So that's why I'm here. Thank you in advance....By the way I'm Pro Per...cause money is tight right now....Thank you for understanding...

Attorney answers (4)

  1. John Henry Perrott

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Mistakes and typos happen from time to time, and the Court will understand. If you have not served the documents yet you have a right to Amend the pleadings to fix them by checking the proper box(es). If the documents have already been served, then you should contact the other party and let him/her know what the error was and that you intend to fix it. Final and binding rulings will not come down from the Family Court based upon obvious typos. It is fixable.

    As stated above -- I have NOT actually stated any legal opinion, because I need to know more before I can start to... more
  2. Gregory Paul Benton

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Don't know why a settlement agreement would be impossible. You have the right to file an amended petition, though. If you do this, then you need to make sure the other party is served with the amended petition.

  3. Shannon Richards

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You may redo the Petition (FL-100). Mark it "Amended" and file that along with an "Amended Summons.
    Then you have to serve the Amended documents on your spouse.

    The information provided is general in nature and should not be considered as legal advice. Shannon Richards is... more
  4. Shazad Z Omar


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with the previous responses that these types of errors can be fixed by filing an amended petition. The typo on your petition should not be hamper to your ability to settle these matters. If the other side is not willing to agree to allow you to amend the petition, you may need to request the court to allow you to amend the petition.

    This response is not intended, nor should it be construed as legal advice. Any information provided is for... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Uncontested divorce

An uncontested divorce is one in which spouses agree on relevant issues such as division of property, child custody/support, and alimony.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,682 answers this week

3,333 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,682 answers this week

3,333 attorneys answering