Skip to main content

I made a mistake on my I-821D submitted package.. I put country of residence: Mexico instead of USA

Los Angeles, CA |

The whole package and evidence submitted clearly shows I live in the USA... How do I correct my error?? Should I just wait for them to contact me??

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Best answer

    Actually, DHS define s Country of Residence as "the country in which an alien habitually resided prior to entering the United States."

    The answer provided is general in nature and should not be construed as legal advice as not all facts are know by the attorney, nor does the answering of this question create an attorney client relationship.

  2. Just wait for USCIS to send you an RFE

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. This is an example why you should not have been filing this yourself. They will contact you. maybe they ask to correct and maybe they just deny your case since you told them you reside in mexico. Impossible to correct now since you have no case number.

  4. First, don't panic. USCIS will likely send you a request for further evidence (RFE) to correct the mistake. They may also ask you for other evidence regarding your case. If this happens I recommend you contact an immigration attorney of your choice to schedule a consultation so all relevant facts can be analyzed and competent advice given.

  5. I agree with my colleagues, should you receive a request for evidence (RFE), you should retain the services of a competent immigration attorney near you in preparing your answer. Often times, what appears to be a simple process, on its face, can turn into a more convoluted process...

    This response in no way establishes attorney/client privilege or relationship.

  6. Wait to see if you get a RFE. (There's a chance you may not get one) Then go through an immigration attorney.

    Best of luck,

    Sanjay A. Paul, Esq.
    (888) 373-2602

    This is not legal advice. No attorney client relationship exists between us.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics