I made a mistake issuing share certificates to the wrong entity. How do I fix it?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

I am the sole shareholder of a corporation. When I established the company, I had the share certificates made out to myself, and did a board resolution authorizing the issuance of the shares to me.

I'm now realizing that I probably should have had the shares issued to my LLC instead (in which I'm the only member). Can I just write a board resolution saying that the shares were issued to me in error, and that they'll be canceled and new ones issued to my LLC instead?

1. John P Corrigan

2

1

Answered . No...better way is to simply issue a new certificate in the name of the LLC necessitated by you (personally) making a capital contribution of your stock to the LLC (this is a tax-free step). This would be reflected as a Member Consent Resolution reflecting this second step of the process and you can then void/cancel the original certificate of the corporation and put it in your corporate kit with a new entry in the stock ledger showing the change of ownership. Also put a copy of the LLC Member Consent Resolution in the corporate file as well as the evidence supporting what you did.