I made a mistake issuing share certificates to the wrong entity. How do I fix it?

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

I am the sole shareholder of a corporation. When I established the company, I had the share certificates made out to myself, and did a board resolution authorizing the issuance of the shares to me.

I'm now realizing that I probably should have had the shares issued to my LLC instead (in which I'm the only member). Can I just write a board resolution saying that the shares were issued to me in error, and that they'll be canceled and new ones issued to my LLC instead?

Attorney answers (1)

  1. John P Corrigan

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . No...better way is to simply issue a new certificate in the name of the LLC necessitated by you (personally) making a capital contribution of your stock to the LLC (this is a tax-free step). This would be reflected as a Member Consent Resolution reflecting this second step of the process and you can then void/cancel the original certificate of the corporation and put it in your corporate kit with a new entry in the stock ledger showing the change of ownership. Also put a copy of the LLC Member Consent Resolution in the corporate file as well as the evidence supporting what you did.

    My answer is not intended to be giving legal advice and this topic can be a complex area where the advice of a... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now