I made a left turn Midtown Manhattan against posted sign, as there was an ambulance behind me trying to get by. Valid excuse?

Brooklyn, NY |

I made a left turn Midtown Manhattan against posted sign, as there was an ambulance behind me trying to get by. Is this a valid excuse? Police officer just kept yelling and refused to accept it. Office also incorrectly wrote down the color of my car as black, while it is blue. Does that help?

Avoiding an emergency vehicle absolutely justifies disobeying the sign. However, don't expect the police officer to agree that there was an emergency vehicle forcing you to do what you did. Otherwise, why did he write the ticket? There are other things to look at in a case like this too. Color of car, unfortunately isn't one of them.

2. Color doesn't help
    The emergency situation may be accepted by the judge.

I am a criminal defense attorney practicing in Nassau, Suffolk and New York City. The above information is not a substitution for a meeting whereas all potential legal issues can be discussed.

3. the fact that the police officer incorrectly wrote down the color of the vehicle is not material. The fact that you made a left turn b/c of the ambulance, then there is a good chance that it will. However, I still would like to suggest that you should hire a lawyer .

4. Fighting a NYC traffic ticket tends to be a guilty or not guilty battle with no plea bargaining or lessening of charges. While the discrepancy in color is not going to win anything for you, the emergency vehicle may have an effect on the judge.

You should consult with a attorney who is experienced with the traffic court system in NYC. My office offers no cost consultations for these matters.

This communication is neither a solicitation nor an offer to represent you. The information provided to you in this communication is not intended to create and does not create a lawyer-client relationship with the Law Office of Daniel A. Jimenez P.C.

5. Color is irrelevant. You should fight the ticket and argue you had a justifiable reason to violate the sign.

Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights.

The answers posted herein are not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship exists. Call for a free 20 minute consultation! THE ESTRELLA LAW FIRM, P.C. “LEGAL REPRESENTATION AND CONSULTING SERVICES THAT GO THE EXTRA MILE” -- Jeffrey J. Estrella, Esq. Licensed Attorney and Counsellor At Law/Abogado y Licensiado Licensed in New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut The Estrella Law Firm, P.C. 75-20 Astoria Boulevard, Suite 170 Inside The Bulova Corporate Center Jackson Heights, NY 11370 T. (347) 628-2391 F. (718) 672-4728 E. Estrella.Jeffrey@gmail.com www.EstrellaLawyer.com