I made a left turn Midtown Manhattan against posted sign, as there was an ambulance behind me trying to get by. Valid excuse?

Asked about 1 year ago - Brooklyn, NY

I made a left turn Midtown Manhattan against posted sign, as there was an ambulance behind me trying to get by. Is this a valid excuse? Police officer just kept yelling and refused to accept it. Office also incorrectly wrote down the color of my car as black, while it is blue. Does that help?

1. Scott E. Feifer

Pro

6

1

Best Answer

Answered . Avoiding an emergency vehicle absolutely justifies disobeying the sign. However, don't expect the police officer to agree that there was an emergency vehicle forcing you to do what you did. Otherwise, why did he write the ticket? There are other things to look at in a case like this too. Color of car, unfortunately isn't one of them.

2. Joseph A Lo Piccolo

7

1

Answered . Color doesn't help
    The emergency situation may be accepted by the judge.

3. Yefim Rubinov

7

1

Answered . the fact that the police officer incorrectly wrote down the color of the vehicle is not material. The fact that you made a left turn b/c of the ambulance, then there is a good chance that it will. However, I still would like to suggest that you should hire a lawyer .

4. Daniel Alexander Jimenez

6

1

Answered . Fighting a NYC traffic ticket tends to be a guilty or not guilty battle with no plea bargaining or lessening of charges. While the discrepancy in color is not going to win anything for you, the emergency vehicle may have an effect on the judge.

You should consult with a attorney who is experienced with the traffic court system in NYC. My office offers no cost consultations for these matters.

5. Jeffrey Jose Estrella

1

Answered . Color is irrelevant. You should fight the ticket and argue you had a justifiable reason to violate the sign.

Hire a lawyer to protect your legal rights.

One or more answers have been taken down.