I made a false assault report and i went to court dates because it was a false statement.

Asked 10 months ago - Binghamton, NY

I am going to talk to the attorney upon the false report and i was wondering if he will be released that day.

Additional information

will he be released from jail and will the charges be dropped and i have people that know it was a lie to hurt him and i deserve what happens to me because i did wrong and i should be punished for it.. i have never been in trouble and i think i should be in trouble. will he come home the same day?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You have some problems. First, you will have to convince the DA you made a false report rather than having a change of mind. Second, if you do convince the DA you lied you could be arrested for making a false report. I suggest you get yourself a criminal defense lawyer.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was... more
  2. Stephen Charles Cooper

    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . Without knowing what the case is about, its hard to answer all your questions. In the long run, if you are willing to go to prison for filling a false statement, the innocent victim will be released. The question which the DA must answer, before he will drop charges and release the man, concern whether you are being coerced to refute your prior statements.

  3. Marco Caviglia


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . You cannot have your cake and eat it. If your report was true and you wish to recant, then the DA will not accept your recantation and take his chances with an unwilling victim. If you convince him you lied, you are admitting that you committed a misdemeanor and he might very well prosecute you...open and shut and is a deterrent to others to lie about such charges against boyfriends/girlfriends using the legal system as their "bully."

    If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,093 answers this week

2,991 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,093 answers this week

2,991 attorneys answering