I made a complaint to my father's home care agency because the nurse who comes to care for his wound does not always wear gloves

Asked about 1 year ago - New York, NY

I discovered recently that the home care agency started an investigation against my father for his mental state. Their quality assurance division called the different home care workers who worked with my dad and interviewed them at length on whether they thought he might be senile, mentally fragile or both. Now they have closed his case and I think they did it because he and I complained to them about the nurse not being sanitary about how she does her job. It was one of these home care workers who alerted me to what was going on.

1. Steven David Fleischer

4

Answered . I would first need to know whether you are private paying for the home care agency, or whether the agency is working for a Managed Long Term Care provider, which is likely the case if your father is currently on Medicaid. If this was an investigation by an MLTC provider, they likely were trying to determine whether your father could safely stay at his home, or whether his mental condition had deteriorated to the point that he no longer could be safely cared for at home. Had they come to the latter conclusion, they would have denied him further home care services. Fortunately for you, your complaint seemed to have ended their inquiry.

2. Robin Nicole Goeman

2

Answered . Remember that you can always switch to a different MLTC plan or agency for the next month. Also, before your dad starts to slip mentally, he should be sure to do a Power of Attorney and a Health Care Proxy. That way even if he has dementia and cannot manage his own care, his designated person can step in and direct the care at home. If a person has someone to direct care on his/her behalf, the home care agency shouldn't have a problem.

I am admitted to practice in New York. This is legal information, not advice.
  3. Kelly Scott Davis

Pro

1

Best Answer

Answered . You haven't asked a question, but if the home care workers have improved the quality of care, I would say you won. If not, then push them harder. They do not want to be the subject of an elder abuse investigation. The fact that questions were asked shows that they took your complaint seriously. One of the solutions that they had available would have been to remove your father from his home and place him in a nursing home, but that would only be done if he needed that level of care due to his mental or physical condition. Since he is still at home, looks like you won that one, too.

4. Lawrence A Friedman

1

Answered . You haven't asked a question. In any case, a nurse should be sanitary and a nurse referral to adult protective services is not terribly uncommon in borderline cases.