I'm writing a letter to apologize to the courts for my actions & to request for early termination of probation. Any suggestions?

Asked 4 months ago - San Diego, CA

The offense was alcohol related and I have served over half of my probation and completed all my probation terms. I am hoping to get off probation to expunge my records to increase my chances of landing the perfect job. Also, I want to apply to nursing school.

1. David Philip Shapiro

Pro

5

Answered . I hope you are doing this as an attachment to the formal motion you will be filing with the court and serving on the prosecutor's office.

You may have a compelling reason to terminate your probation early. Increase your chances by retaining a quality, locally experienced, criminal defense attorney.

2. Jay Scott Finnecy

Pro

4

Answered . A letter of apology is not the best vehicle for what you are trying to do. The attorneys here on AVVO who respond to your question(s) are generally willing to offer a free consultation. Legal fees may be more affordable than you expect. Get some help for the greatest chance of success.

San Diego Criminal Defense Attorney--19 years experience. Law Offices of Jay S. Finnecy
  3. Michael Kevin Cernyar

Pro

3

Answered . That's a good start, but unlikely to get the results you desire. The law is complex and you need to understand it to get what you want. That understanding takes years so don't do this alone if you wish to succeed.

4. William Jordan Steed III

Pro

3

Answered . The best chance at early termination will definitely be with an attorney who is familiar with the specific court, who can advise as to the best arguments and approaches, and who can present the case to the court. As a general matter in early termination motions, it is usually important to address several key factors, including why probation is imposing a burden on the probationer (for example, preventing job opportunities, interfering with family or work travel, preventing a relocation, etc.). A probationer will also wish to emphasize specific rehabilitation efforts and a plan moving forward to maintain success. In some jurisdictions, whee diversionary or "expungeable" probation is granted, a defendant must complete a minimum period of supervision to be eligible for expungement. The specifics of a particular case are best discussed in confidence with the attorney who originally handled the case, or with new counsel.

5. Valarie A McNeice

Pro

2

Answered . Think of it more like a letter of accomplishment and goals. Words are cheap. Actions count more. Talk about the things you accomplished while on probation, like sobriety, counseling and remaining crime free. Explain why probation is no longer necessary, talk about your current situation including any family support and lastly, tell the judge why it is important to get off probation. Don't just say I want a better job and want to go to school. Provide detailed information about your future goals. Be persuasive and sincere. Good luck.