I'm winning a lawsuit that is alot of money, but i get government benefits and was told by my llawyer that i would lose my

Chicago, IL |

benefits if i didn't have a trustee, but the person i could choose to be my trustee owes child support. Could child support take the money even tho it isnt his?

You need to consult your attorney for legal advice. Avvo is a general information Q and A forum for those that need some legal information, not legal advice.

Read over the Terms of Use.

Good luck to you.

I agree You need to discuss this with your lawyer - there are too many details needed that are not described here and should not be discussed here.

Best of luck to you

The exact answers to questions like this require more information than presented. The answer(s) provided should be considered general information. The information provided by this is general advice, and is not legal advice. Viewing this information is not intended to create, and does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. It is intended to educate the reader and a more definite answer should be based on a consultation with a lawyer. You should not take any action that might affect your claim without first seeking the professional opinion of an attorney. You should consult an attorney who can can ask all the appropriate questions and give legal advice based on the exact facts of your situation. The general information provided here does not create an attorney-client relationship.

I absolutely agree with the other attorneys-- this is a matter you need to discuss with your attorney. For you to be prepared for that meeting you may want to gather information about financial planning/ structured settlements. These planning tool may be options for you but you need to work with legal and financial professionals.

This answer is intended for informational and educational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice nor forming the attorney client relationship. This attorney is licensed in Kentucky

You do need to consult with an experienced estate planning attorney. There are special trusts which allow you, if you are disabled and under 65 years of age, to retain the ability to receive governmental benefits and use the proceeds from the lawsuit for supplemental needs. I cannot envision any scenario in which trust funds could be used for the trustee's own debts, but that would be specifically detailed in the trust agreement.

You should act promptly, because the trust agreement should be in place before you receive the proceeds from the lawsuit.