Skip to main content

I'm wanting to file a wrongful death lawsuit against my boss and company. My brother worked there 4 months and took his life.

Houston, TX |

My brother was 65, retired from Exxon after 45 years and did not need to work. However, my boss was looking for someone experienced for problems we had at our job sites. Position was great, etc. After 4 months of bullying, isolation, no help and made to feel like nothing, on April 19, 2012 I walked him out to our parking garage, had a cigarette together before he left. That night he shot himself. I saw him go from an awesome man with great credentials, happy, then reduced to feel like nothing. I couldn't intervene, my boss was his boss as well. He did not need to work, but wanted to. He was used to working. I want to do this to show that the company cannot get away with this type of abuse. From the boss on down. I saw it with my own eyes. Any monies would go to his two sons.

You're all right. I should just let it go. So hard to do. Thank you all so much and thank you for responding so quickly. Thank you for all you do. I should have been an attorney, I love the law so much. But, I've been an executive legal assistant for 30 years and love it.

Attorney Answers 7

  1. Best answer

    Contact a local wrongful death attorney but as my colleague indicated it will be extremely difficult to prove that his boss was the cause of his suicide. I'm very sorry for your loss and wish you the best of luck.

    Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at

  2. First of all, I'm sorry for your loss. To lose a family is very painful, but to lose them to suicide, is a whole other kind of pain. Secondly, it could be very difficult to establish that the reason that your brother took his own life was as a result of the way he was treated at work. However, if you truly feel that you would be able to establish such a claim, then contact a local wrongful death attorney, for a consultation, in order to further discuss the facts surrounding your brother's death.

    This attorney is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The laws of your jurisdiction may differ and thus this answer is for informational and educational purposes only and is not to be considered as legal advice. Since all facts are not addressed in the question, this answer could change depending on other significant and important facts. This answer in no way constitutes an attorney-client relationship.

  3. Contact a Houston wrongful death lawyer who is board certified.

    Sagi Shaked is a Florida Bar Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney. To schedule a free consultation, call (877) 529-0080 or (305) 937-0191. I am licensed in Florida, therefore, my answers are based on general prinicpals of law or Florida law, which may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Answers posted to Avvo are for general information only and do not create an attorney client relationship. Do not conclusively rely on any information posted online when deciding what to do about your case. Every case depends is different and fact dependent, and responses are limited to and is based on the information you posted. No attorney-client relationship shall be created through the use reading of this response on Avvo. You should never delay seeking legal advice, disregard legal advice, or commence or discontinue any legal action because of information in this response.

  4. I'm sorry for your loss. Contact one of the above lawyers in your state for representation.

  5. Linking up the suicide to a work situation would be a tough tough case. I am not licensed in Texas, but it would be extremely difficult. You can always discuss it with a Texas attorney. My condolences to you. Another issue is whether siblings in Texas can sue for wrongful death. Good luck to you.

  6. I am sorry for your loss.

    As the decedent's brother, you have no potentially valid wrongful death claim. Under Texas law, that cause of action is restricted to the spouse, parents and children of the deceased. Your nephews have standing to sue, but I'm afraid I have to agree with the other lawyers who have responded that this sounds like an extremely difficult, and perhaps impossible, case for anyone who might bring the lawsuit.

    Good luck.

  7. By Statute the cause of action is only available to the spouse, children and parents. They should talk to a lawyer if they wish to pursue the claim, however, causation is going to difficult to prove in the case you describe.

Personal injury topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics