I'm wanting to file a wrongful death lawsuit against my boss and company. My brother worked there 4 months and took his life.

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

My brother was 65, retired from Exxon after 45 years and did not need to work. However, my boss was looking for someone experienced for problems we had at our job sites. Position was great, etc. After 4 months of bullying, isolation, no help and made to feel like nothing, on April 19, 2012 I walked him out to our parking garage, had a cigarette together before he left. That night he shot himself. I saw him go from an awesome man with great credentials, happy, then reduced to feel like nothing. I couldn't intervene, my boss was his boss as well. He did not need to work, but wanted to. He was used to working. I want to do this to show that the company cannot get away with this type of abuse. From the boss on down. I saw it with my own eyes. Any monies would go to his two sons.

You're all right. I should just let it go. So hard to do. Thank you all so much and thank you for responding so quickly. Thank you for all you do. I should have been an attorney, I love the law so much. But, I've been an executive legal assistant for 30 years and love it.

1. George Costas Andriotis

13

1

Best Answer

Answered . Contact a local wrongful death attorney but as my colleague indicated it will be extremely difficult to prove that his boss was the cause of his suicide. I'm very sorry for your loss and wish you the best of luck.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
  2. Malosack Berjis

12

1

Answered . First of all, I'm sorry for your loss. To lose a family is very painful, but to lose them to suicide, is a whole other kind of pain. Secondly, it could be very difficult to establish that the reason that your brother took his own life was as a result of the way he was treated at work. However, if you truly feel that you would be able to establish such a claim, then contact a local wrongful death attorney, for a consultation, in order to further discuss the facts surrounding your brother's death.

Pro

11

1

Answered . I'm sorry for your loss. Contact one of the above lawyers in your state for representation.

4. Sagi Shaked

Pro

9

1

Answered . Contact a Houston wrongful death lawyer who is board certified.

5. Paul Hilmon Cannon

7

Answered . By Statute the cause of action is only available to the spouse, children and parents. They should talk to a lawyer if they wish to pursue the claim, however, causation is going to difficult to prove in the case you describe.

6. Josh P Tolin

8

1

Answered . Linking up the suicide to a work situation would be a tough tough case. I am not licensed in Texas, but it would be extremely difficult. You can always discuss it with a Texas attorney. My condolences to you. Another issue is whether siblings in Texas can sue for wrongful death. Good luck to you.

7. Don Karotkin

6

1

Answered . I am sorry for your loss.

As the decedent's brother, you have no potentially valid wrongful death claim. Under Texas law, that cause of action is restricted to the spouse, parents and children of the deceased. Your nephews have standing to sue, but I'm afraid I have to agree with the other lawyers who have responded that this sounds like an extremely difficult, and perhaps impossible, case for anyone who might bring the lawsuit.