Skip to main content

I'm unemployed for 2 years and filling a I-864 for my dad my husband is in the Military what poverty guidelines do I follow?

Portland, OR |

This question is related to I-864. do I need to file I-864 a too or only my husband? Question Part 1 a or e which should I check? I'm confused....Please help

Attorney Answers 3

  1. You need to figure out who the sponsors are. It is it you and your husband then you can use his income to sponsor your dad. As to the proper forms, read the instructions carefully. Your dad is not your husband's immediate relative and hence you should meet the standard income requirements.

    Att. number 917-885-2261 This advice does not create an attorney client relationship. No specific legal advice may be offered by the lawyer until a conflicts check is undertaken. Information sent through a web form or via email may not be treated as confidential. Please accept my apologies for spelling mistakes. Law Office of Alena Shautsova , New York Immigration Attorney Blog:

  2. You are the petitioner you have to sign the I-864 regardless of your income. You husband will have to sign I864A if you want to use the family income to sponsor your dad.

  3. I agree with Ms. Grinberg. The petitioner on the immigrant petition is the one to sign an affidavit of support. Your husband is a household member and needs to sign I-864A. When I tell you this, I assume you file taxes jointly. If you do not, he will have to file a separate I-864 as a co sponsor.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics