I'm trying to figure out what steps I should take if I was involved in an hit an run accident that was not my fault?

Asked 12 months ago - Savannah, GA

I don't want the expenses to be on me. And I need to be seen by a chiropractor because I am in pain.

And I know the individual who hit me.

1. Aaron P. Marks

6

Best Answer

Answered . I am so sorry to hear about your accident. Whenever you are in a car accident, the first and most important consideration is getting whatever medical attention you need. If you have a doctor or other health provider that you see regularly, you should definitely make an appointment as soon as possible. If you do not have health insurance or the means to pay for medical care, a personal injury attorney may be able to help you see a local doctor or chiropractor. Personally, I have made arrangements for many of my clients to see health care providers – with no out-of-pocket expense to the client – when necessary, with the understanding that the provider will be compensated when we win at trial or settle the case.
    You potentially have claims for both any injuries you suffered, and any damage to your car. Any time you are injured or suffer property damage as a result of someone else’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation for (1) medical bills, (2) lost wages for missed work, (3) pain and suffering, (4) any permanent injury or disfigurement, (5) inconvenience and loss of enjoyment of life, and (6) property damage. If the driver was acting in a particularly heinous way, you may also be entitled to “punitive” damages, which are intended to punish a person for acting in a way that endangers others.
    However, you can only recover if you can identify the hit-and-run driver and if the driver has insurance. Have you contacted police about the accident? They may be able to help you track down the driver.
    If you cannot find the driver or if the driver does not have insurance, your own insurance may be your only recourse. Do you have uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage? If you do, your own policy may pay the difference between your medical bills and the other driver’s policy limits, if any.
    You should consult with a personal injury attorney who has experience handling car accident cases. An initial consultation is free, and an attorney will be able to tell you what steps to take next, with regard to the police, your insurance company, and the other driver’s insurance company (if any). While it can seem bewildering, an experienced attorney will know exactly what to do so that you can get all the help that you need. Good luck.

2. David Edward Boyle

7

1

Answered . You maybe able to collect from your own insurance under your UI (uninsured motorist ) coverage.

3. Thomas Andrew Miller

6

Answered . Navigating the insurance claims process can be difficult and complicated. To fully protect yourself, you should retain a lawyer to represent you. An experienced injury attorney can guide you through the process and even obtain access to the best medical care for your injuries. Having an advocate speak for you will make the process less stressful for you and likely ensure that you end up with compensation for what you've gone through as opposed to having to pay. Most lawyers will consult with you about your case for free. Call today!

4. Matthew Chase Swanson

Pro

6

Answered . You should speak with an experienced personal injury attorney as soon as possible to discuss your options. You will need a copy of the police report, and be sure to take photos of the damage to your vehicle. In Georgia, if your vehicle was actually struck by the unknown driver, your claim may be easier to pursue. However, if there was no contact and the other driver simply ran you off the road before leaving the scene, you will need an independent witness to verify the incident in order to pursue a claim via your own uninsured motorist (UM) coverage. Hopefully you chose to purchase this coverage with your auto insurer. If you did not, there is likely nothing you can do to make a claim.

You should also be sure to find out whether you have medical payments (medpay) coverage under your auto policy. This can help pay for medical bills you incur as a result of the incident up to the limits of the coverage - usually $1,000 or $5,000.

You're also welcome to use your own health insurance, if you have it. Either way, if you are injured you should see a doctor.

5. Andrew Raymond Lynch

Pro

6

Answered . You should pursue a claim against the person if they can be found, if not in Georgia we have uninsured motorist coverage that your own insurance company provides to protect you in a cases like this where there the other driver has no insurance or cannot be identified.

6. Lisa Morgan Edwards

6

Answered . Check you insurance coverage to see if you have uninsured motorist coverage and put your insurance carrier on notice. See a personal injury attorney as soon as possible.

7. Sam Louis Levine

6

Answered . You need to speak with an attorney about your hit and run car accident. You have rights that you may not be aware of. Find an attorney who will get you centered, encourage you to take a deep breath and when then step by step advocate zealously for your rights in a concerted effort to recover ALL of your damages. Your attorney should also be empathetic to your pain and your predicament.
    Best wishes.

Sam Levine, Esq.
    Atlanta Georgia Car & Truck Accident Injury Attorney
    (404) 303-8875

8. Robert Smead Hogan

Pro

7

Answered . Your experience is a common one. You should contact a local attorney who specializes in personal injury cases to help you with this process. Hopefully, the person who hit you can be identified and has automobile insurance. Otherwise, you will have to look to your own uninsured motorists coverage, if you have it. If you don't have uninsured motorist coverage, you may not have any recourse.

9. John L. Schroeder

7

Answered . Report it to your insurance company. You have medical payments coverage as well as uninsured motorists so you should be ok. If the injury ends up being serious contact a personal injury lawyer.

10. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

5

Answered . Your first step is to talk to a lawyer. Hopefully you did not make the mistake of not buying uninsured motorists coverage, and you'll be needing it.

Pro

6

Answered . A local Savannah personal injury lawyer would look to recover from your UM coverage. Avvo has a terrific "find a lawyer" tool to find a top-rated Avvo lawyer with a low contingency fee within a couple miles of your home. Good luck.

12. Peter Jonathan Ross

4

Answered . It all depends on whether you have uninsured motorist coverage and whether there is any chance that the hit and run driver can be identified. Your hound consult am attorney right away. Good luck.

Peter J.Ross
    Ross & Pines, LLC
    404 812 4300

13. Philip Anthony Fabiano

4

Answered . If you know who ran into you you should pursue a claim against that person. If that person cannot be identified and you have "uninsured motorist" coverage, then you can make a claim against your own auto carrier. In either case you need a lawyer to help you.

14. Joseph E. Lariscy III

1

Answered . You are in a good position to get the care and compensation you need, given the details you have provided. My first suggestion would be to see your regular physician- although chiropractors are fantastic for treating spinal injuries in most cases, it is imperative to get a MEDICAL diagnosis for your injuries, even if that means a trip to the hospital. Second, selecting proper legal representation immediately will ensure that the process is smooth, and you are not left with unpaid bills and no compensation for your pain and suffering. There could be a chance that the at-fault driver is on the run, seeing as they certainly didn't stop to ensure you were okay; therefore, it is important to get on this right away. An attorney would assist in setting up your claim with the person's insurance (given that it seems you know how to find this person), and exploring any other possible means of compensation for you (MedPay, etc). If the person that hit you does not have insurance, an attorney would seek other avenues of compensation for your injuries. Do you have Uninsured Motorist Coverage? Contact a personal injury attorney that specializes in auto accidents. My office offers free consultations. Best of luck!